• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

image storage device (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

We are going on holiday at the end of May and I am looking for a reasonably priced storage device onto which to transfer photos from a compact flash card without the need of a laptop. Can anybody recommend one? Thanks

I don't know what would do that other than a notebook or other computer. There are photo frames that will suck photos off a card but the internal storage of one of those is tiny.

My suggestion is that you bring several memory cards for your camera if you really don't want to bring a notebook. You don't want to bring your notebook? I can't live without mine.

I use an Epson photo viewer, (sorry can't remember the model I think it's a P-3000) holds a good number of images, is easy to use and you can view the images on a slightly larger screen than your camera, but I think these are quite pricey (mine was a present a number of years ago).

These days I'd be more inclined towards buying a cheap tablet PC with a micro sd card expansion slot, and a few cheap but reasonable capacity micro sd cards: cheap and slow cards will be fine for the purpose of saving pics to...
Keith,can you take me through the process of transfering the compact flash data to the micro sd cards via the tablet, if I understand you aright. So then when you are home, you dump the data you've stored on the cheaper sd cards to your "home' PC or whatever ?

Thanks
Robin

Hi Robin,

I don't have a tablet PC (I use a laptop when I'm away), but it strikes me that it should be the same process either way: assuming that the tablet has USB in, (or better, a built-in card reader, though that's unlikely), I'd simply plug my CF card reader into the tablet, and read the files off it onto the the micro SD expansion card via the tablet.

Then, as you say, at home I upload the files from the micro SD card(s) onto my home PC.

It's exactly what I do with my lappy (except that I store the pictures onto the lappy's hard drive), and I can't see why it wouldn't work perfectly with a lightweight, small, easy-to-pack tablet PC.

There might even be smartphones out there these days that have a full-sized USB in port that would allow this.

Thanks Keith; BUT....... if you are going to transfer them into the tablet for temporary storage, any reason why you couldn't use the same CF card reader to transfer them back to cheaper (& slower) CF cards ? Or are micro SD cards always cheaper than CF cards.
This information is very germane to me as I've got a major hummingbird trip :)t:)coming up next January and I need to start figuring this type of thing now, so it all helps.
Robin

Hi Robin,

I'm making the assumption here that a cheap tablet won't have enough internal memory to take a full (largeish) CF card's worth full of images - the one I linked to only has 2 gb of internal memory, for example.

In that case you'd have to write the images to the micro sd expansion memory before then copying them back to the cheap CF cards.

I reckon that if you're writing the images to the micro sd anyway, it's probably easier just to leave 'em on there and swap in a new micro sd (which - in the UK anyway - tend to be cheaper than equivalent capacity CF cards) when the previous one is full.

This also means one less copying stage per CF card out of the camera, in that the files would simply be going from CF straight to micro sd, rather than CF card to micro sd to CF card, which might mean a worthwhile time saving.

Last edited:
Hi there,

We are going on holiday at the end of May and I am looking for a reasonably priced storage device onto which to transfer photos from a compact flash card without the need of a laptop. Can anybody recommend one? Thanks

Cheap PC Tablet would be able to do that plus somthink to use why sat on plane lol i found this site a while back and thought it had good prices -

Hi there,

The slickest device I've seen for storing photos is the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit, used with one of the iPad models, which should include the recently-introduced iPad mini.

Unfortunately, the connection kit is not compatible with the even smaller iPod touch, and Apple is not particularly forthcoming about any plans to make this happen.

Netbooks are also very well-priced.

Mike

Last edited:
I purschase a Hyperdrive Colorspace

Basically to backup/copy my photos while on vacation. It takes any format card and downloads to file to an internal harddrive (basically a pc harddrive). You can buy without a hard drive in it and purchase a drive separately (cheaper and allows you to decide on the make and size of the drive). It is battery operated and has a small view screen (allows for basic editing like deleteing unwanted shots). It will connect to a pc via usb and it looks like an external hard drive. My only complaint may be that the battery life isn't long enough (but I bought my a few years ago and this may not be an issue now).

Here's a like:
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-s/23.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back