• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida - which Ecozone ? (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I'm currently trying to confirm which of the Worlds Eco Zones Florida comes under.
I assumed it was the Nearctic but according to Wikipedia the Nearctic covers southern Florida suggesting some but not all of Florida.
I cannot seem to find an accurate map showing any boundary as such so would appreciate any advice concerning this.
For instance is Sarasota, Tampa, Orlando etc in the Nearctic or ..... ??

Any help is much appreciated.

All of Florida is Nearctic in character.

However, the very southern tip of Florida, including both Miami-Dade and Monroe counties, has a true tropical climate with a lot of influence from the West Indies, including such trees/shrubs as West Indian Mahogany, Cocoplum, Strangler Fig, Royal Palm, Firebush, Wild Coffee, and various other frost-sensitive vegetation.

A good rule of thumb is the range of the White-crowned Pigeon, which does not extend further up the coast than about Virginia Key/Brickell in Miami-Dade. Antillean Nighthawk and 'Golden/Cuban' race Yellow Warbler are other breeding specialties restricted to this area. In the winter, wintering warbler diversity is almost 2-3 times higher in Miami-Dade and Monroe counties than elsewhere in the state. We are fairly unique.

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back