• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (6 Viewers)

Good question and got me thinking. I dont recall them eating peanuts at my feeders but I suppose they have a natural instinct to benefit from a few food sources so why not.... they must do it while I am at work :-O

I put some cereals out onto a feeder yesterday and was inundated with....

Rooks :t:

Peanuts have been out since the nyjer, maybe the goldies just wanted a change :-O

Had a few rooks the first couple of days, haven't seen them at the fiood since tho.

Great spot on the Hobby as well, jealousy all over the thread I bet !!

Dunnocks, bullfinches,greenfinches,long tailed tits,house sparrows,blackbirds,coal and blue tits,collared doves,robin,and goldfinches in and around the feeders today.

There was a goldfinch tucking into the peanut feeder this morning, despite the nyjer feeder being 3/4 full.

Never seen them at peanuts before, anyone else ?

Some of ours are tucking into the spill from the suet blocks on the floor ? I didn't think goldies were a ground feeder.

Some unexpected things happening out there . yesterday one of our GSWoodpeckers visited after an abscence of a couple of weeks . He was feeding on the peanuts and ignoring the suet and fat balls ?:eek!:

we've just had a heavy shower of sleet, the second today and within seconds of it clearing 30+ Starlings decended on the garden en-masse hoovering up everything in sight . Several having a quick bathe as well.

Not seen so many Starlings at one time for nearly a year now.:eek!:

2 Lesser Redpolls still here :t:

One here today too and a pair of Siskins still about.

I heard my regular 5am alarm clock singing this evening in the garden and got sight of him too. The Song Thrushes must be breeding nearby but I've no idea where.

A pair of GSWs bout this evening, pair of Bullfinches and a few more Chaffinches than recently.

More garden birds of Venezuela

This time we stopped at a guides house close to Yacambu park - Sanare

the last image is all wrong and has nothing at all going for it - but I like it ;)

Hope you like

Attachments

• 461-001.JPG
    461-001.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 653-001.JPG
    653-001.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 448-001.JPG
    448-001.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 648-001.JPG
    648-001.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 46
superb images bfp as usual;)
I love the names of some of these exotics , the're insane.:-O

Can't wait until we get some decent natural light in the UK , my images are so dreary and I'm stuck with ISO 400 most of the time to get some decent shutter speed:-C

Couldn't help but feel sorry for this little chap today. It wasn't until I'd cropped the image that I noticed he only had one leg. Seems to be managing well though.

Heres another with both legs lol

Attachments

• robin one leg crop.jpg
    robin one leg crop.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 38
  • robin on post cropped.jpg
    robin on post cropped.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I sometimes wonder how they lose their legs . I rescued a bluetit once who had got his foot tangled in a fatball mesh. The other bluetits were flying all around him quite agitated . They were clearly responding to his plight.

his leg was so fine I was sure that I would break it but I managed to free him in the end and he flew off with his chums.

Big lesson learned that day and I have been careful to remove all traces of mesh from the fat balls before hanging them in purpose made containers.

at last some sunshine

2 Lesser Redpoll and a male Bullfinch

Intresting to watch the Coal Tits: Often regarded at the bottom of the pecking order when feeding, however I have yet to see any species stop it feeding and taking sunflower seeds when it dashes in. They even sqeeze between much larger Greenfinch to get at a seed without other birds making any gestures towards them. Last year while they were constantly taking seeds I could stand in the middle of the lawn in the way of their flight path to the feeders and they came back time and again taking the exact some route and passed me at houlder height. Fascinating when you watch closely.

Anyway its that time of year again and they are as busy as ever.... now for the first juvenile of the year

Last edited:
well this week ive had bull finches, green finches ,gold finches,coal tit , great tit, blue tit, long tailed tit, dunnock , reed warbler,sparrow,magpie,ravons, black bird and a buzzard in my garden, buzzard was on the garage all the others were on the feeders or under them ,,, lovely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back