• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bogen/Manfrotto 3063? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

I recently came into a bogen/manfrotto 3063 head as an extra in a purchase...

It has an odd plate that's Hexagonal in shape. What exactly is this head meant for? Is it for video cameras or telescopes??

The head feels really smooth and it's in great shape...Just really to large and heavy for anything I need....

As a side thought...Are there really any lightweight truly compact tripods/heads out there of any quality? Something suitable for a pack, etc? I have a Velbon Mini F (for cameras) that I use sometimes with a Kowa 613. Is there anything similar in size/capability of higher quality?

I recently came into a bogen/manfrotto 3063 head as an extra in a purchase...

It has an odd plate that's Hexagonal in shape. What exactly is this head meant for? Is it for video cameras or telescopes??

The head feels really smooth and it's in great shape...Just really to large and heavy for anything I need....

As a side thought...Are there really any lightweight truly compact tripods/heads out there of any quality? Something suitable for a pack, etc? I have a Velbon Mini F (for cameras) that I use sometimes with a Kowa 613. Is there anything similar in size/capability of higher quality?

I think that old head was meant for video, but it is a peculiar design, not very well considered.

As for super compact yet versatile (ground level to full standing height), I recommend Velbon Ultra 355 or 455 with Really Right Stuff BH-25 Pro ballhead (much lighter than the stock head). Spindly at full height (usable under calm conditions), rock solid when short.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back