• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (5 Viewers)

I finished my day out on Monday with a walk about at the bottom of the sidlaw hills,at this time of year the smaller birds move down from the higher ground and tend to stick in groups, I came across one such group which consisted of whitethroats/willow warblers/stonechats ,all three had juvs in tow,the whitethroats and stonechats were giving their similar alarm calls,there is a large covering of small trees at the bottom of the hills which is attracting the smaller birds,when the plantation began I had my closest views of a pair of short eared owls,they are long gone now unfortunatly

Attachments

• whitethstone.JPG
    whitethstone.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 67
  • warbler.JPG
    warbler.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 80
Cor!! You really did have a wonderful day out didn't you. Some great pictures you've taken too Kawwauser.... love that face:-O

sanderling and knot both seen at Arbroath esplanade today, a large number of curlews were on the rocks ,I was hoping to pick out a whimbrel but no joy, there seems to be a bit of an explosion of red admirals at auchmithie just now

Attachments

• sn2.jpg
    sn2.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 64
A Norwegian ringed 1st winter Black Headed Gull at Stobsmuir (Swannie) Ponds in Dundee today. Green JN69. There were a few Norwegian ringed BHGs there last winter. It seems to be a popular destination for Norwegian gulls. Also 20 seconds of activity when a flock of Swallows dropped in for a quick drink on their way past. Other highlights from a wee wander locally in Dundee were a Chiffchaff at Stannergate, Magpies at Swannie Ponds and Eastern Cemetery plus Mistle Thrush at Eastern Cemetery and 1 (possibly 2) Sparrowhawks at Stannergate.

A late Osprey was at Montrose Basin on Friday fishing at the Lurgies, several Kingfishers there too.
A Yellow-browed warbler was feeding in sycamores betwen the Basin visitor centre and the viaduct.
Several small skeins of Barnacle Geese continue to pass south and on the Basin the Pinkfeet numbers are up to around 70,000 i'm told.

Attachments

• osprey6 001.jpg
    osprey6 001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Black Scoter still at Lunan Bay today but difficult to pin down due to the weather, County tick for me.
Also decent numbers of Common & Velvet Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks , Red-throated Divers and a probable Pom. Skua going south.

i came across a pair of stonechats at backwater yesterday,never seen them this far inland in November before,also seen were 3 ravens/1 kestrel/7 buzzards/1 jay/pied wagtail/a flock of 15 bullfinches plus wrens/robins ,on my there I passed a flock of redwings with 4 fieldfares among them,a flock of approx 130 geese were grazing at meigle ,the flock was an equal mixture of pinkfoots and Canada geese ,3 whoopers at piper dam

Attachments

• buzzard.jpg
    buzzard.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 41
  • stonechat.JPG
    stonechat.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 30
  • whoopers2.JPG
    whoopers2.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 32
  • geese.JPG
    geese.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 47
  • backw.JPG
    backw.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 25
Great goodness!! What a difference a day makes eh!

We took the Coupar-Angus, Kettins, Newtyle road to Meigle on Sunday 3 crows, 1 Blackbird, 2 gulls! Nothing at all on the flooded area at Meigle. A Buzzard at Lintrathen flew off as soon as it saw the car.

At Backwater a Cormorant flew over. We found a flock of Fieldfare with 1 Redwing and (I think) a Mistle Thrush. No finches spotted at all.

The Canada Geese were at Lintrathen in the afternoon, along with Mute and Whooper Swans, loads of Coots, Wigeon etc. We didn't see any other geese on that run at all.

A really strange day. Hopefully Kinnordy tomorrow, weather permitting.

Such a nice find with the Stonechats Kawwauser.

Sorry for the poor quality picture... they were a bit distance for my wee camera.

Attachments

• Winter thrushesbf.jpg
    Winter thrushesbf.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 47
Spent most of the last couple of days at the coast, Desert Wheatear & Black Redstart were still at Montrose Beach, though can be elusive at times.
Had at least 6 Pomarine Skuas and an Arctic Skua past Fishtown of Usan and a bigger surprise getting 5 Sooty Shearwaters off Lunan Bay yesterday afternoon, latest i've seen them here.

Does anyone know if the desert wheatear is still being reported on birdguides ?i can't get logged on and the list gets refreshed at midnight

I am planning on attempting a Dundee mid-winter 'big day' tomorrow despite the tide times being less than helpful in relation to daylight. Dundee for the purposes of the exercise lying between the Dighty outflow at Balmossie and Invergowrie Bay and to the north along the back of the housing schemes and industrial estates. Any bird seen while I am 'in' Dundee will count, even if it is offshore, or across the "county line". I reckon 70+ species is possible, with 80 doable if I'm really lucky. Anything above that will be exceptional, I think, although in theory 100 or so could be done on paper. Will post the tale of the day on my blog, with the total and edited highlights on here at some point over the next few days.

Well, my 'big winter Dundee day' challenge managed a total of 58 species for me (though my pal, Rhona managed to see a Magpie that I only heard and Goldcrest and Long Tailed Tit were both only heard). The tides were against us (high tide was about 90 mins before sunrise) and most of the inland water we visited was frozen over (Clatto, Swannie, Caird Park and Trottick).

We started at Balmossie then headed to City Quay then Riverside Nature Park, Ninewells Arboretum, Camperdown Park, Clatto, Trottick Ponds, Caird Park, Swannie Ponds, Stannergate, Broughty LNR and Balmossie again.

Species seen - Bar Tailed Godwit, Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch (possible Northern giving 'toy trumpet' call at Ninewells), Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Collared Dove, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Eider, Fieldfare, Goldeneye, Goldfinch, Goosander, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Grey Plover, Grey Wagtail, Greylag Goose, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Linnet, Mallard, Mistle Thrush, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Red Breasted Merganser, Redshank, Red Throated Diver (only 1 again), Redwing, Ringed Plover, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Sanderling, Snipe, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Stock Dove, Teal, Tufted Duck, Turnstone, Wigeon, Woodpigeon, Wren, Yellowhammer.

You did have a good day, didn't you Barry.

Actually a rather nice selection of birds there.

Blooking cold, isn't it.

A quick visit to Kinnordy Loch this morning, very quiet as most of the loch is frozen over though.
Went down to Montreathmont wood after that with the dog, lot of Redpoll and Siskin feeding in the larches and then had a couple of Crossbills feeding quietly just a bit further up the track.
After lunch we went for a walk along Lunan Bay. Fulmars and Stock Doves were on Redcastle and quite a few Tree sparrows on the track down to the beach.
Walking south at the back of the dunes I found Stonechat, Skylark and Meadow Pipits and quite a few Song Thrushes too.
Down near the south of the Bay I stopped to watch several Corn Buntings, scarce birds in Angus these days.
I walked back up the beach and did a bit of sea-watching; Red-throated Divers, Long-tailed Ducks, Common Scoters & a couple of Velvet Scoters were easy to pick out.
Best bird of the day flew over my head as I walked up the beach, a lovely male Snow Bunting which has been hanging around for a day or so apparently.

Hello, I'm new around here, birding around the Falkirk area. Have only been birding about 3 months and my local patch is down near the Kelpies statues in Falkirk's Helix Park. It's a decent mix of habitats with woodland, a small wetlands, a river, canal and open fields. While I haven't seen anything amazing or unusual I have seen a lot species more than I imagined. I'm just enjoying going for a good walk and observing nature really.

Went down to Skinflats today and saw some Shelducks, which was a first for me. I doubt I'll have anything amazing to report but will chip in now and again with my observations.

Hi mrzoo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We'll so look forward to hearing what's about round your area and where you get to.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we usually have one or two meets each year and they're all great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us if you can manage.

Not too sure if this should be posted here, but I was on a train from Glasgow to Pitlochry yesterday and saw some nice birds. Best one was a red kite over a field just as the train came into Bridge of Allan. A bit further north towards and just beyond Perth were lots of pink-footed geese and a large flock of lapwings and a couple of black-tailed godwits.

Edit: I've updated this post to change bean goose to pink-footed goose. I had seen them from a moving train with often distant views, but having read up a bit they're more likely to have been pink-footed geese.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back