• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (4 Viewers)

Thanks Brian!
Why didn't I understand this right away?! Well...
By checking the Norwegian Conops I believe this is Conops strigatus.

Leif

Evening,

Would the first attached image be good for Syrphus ribesii? It was seen in Devon, UK.

Any pointers to the second one which I suspect to be a Horse Fly species.

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• BFHF.JPG
    BFHF.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 54
  • BFFLY.JPG
    BFFLY.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 59
Good evening,

Would the attached picture showing a hoverfly in Mid Devon (UK) back in July be good for Heliophilus pendulus?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• BF 03.JPG
    BF 03.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 53
Well, Santa listened and I now have a copy of the Stubbs & Falk Hoverfly book.

I've successfully identified some of the photos I took in the summer, but I now understand why you can't identify all hover-flies from photos alone.

For one reason or another I'm a bit stuck on these, and I'd appreciate any identification pointers. All from central Berkshire unless otherwise stated.

hf1 8-Jul - canal-side vegetation - guessing at something like Cheilosia illustrata
hf2 8-Aug - urban - around 10mm long
hf3 29-Aug - urban - under 10mm long
hf4 31-Aug - meadow - Sphaerophoria sp?
hf5 4-Sep - Old Winchester Hill - I've followed the key to Eristalis abusivus but it doesn't look the right shape

Attachments

• hf1.JPG
    hf1.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 44
  • hf2.JPG
    hf2.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 49
  • hf3.JPG
    hf3.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 41
  • hf4.JPG
    hf4.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 46
  • hf5.JPG
    hf5.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 50
hf1 8-Jul - canal-side vegetation - guessing at something like Cheilosia illustrata yes
hf2 8-Aug - urban - around 10mm long Syritta pipiens
hf3 29-Aug - urban - under 10mm long Platychirus ?albimanus
hf4 31-Aug - meadow - Sphaerophoria sp? yes
hf5 4-Sep - Old Winchester Hill - I've followed the key to Eristalis abusivus but it doesn't look the right shape
Eristalis sp. aristal hairs will rarely be visible in photos

Thank you very much!

On hf3, the other photos I have are consistent with Platychirus albimanus but I'm missing a good shot of the frons.

On hf5 none of my photos show the aristal hairs, so I'll have to leave that one dangling.

I've just about finished going through all my photos now. There's two individuals where my pictures are not good enough to use the keys - does anyone recognise these?

hf6 - Old Winchester Hill, September
hf7 (two pics) - Old Winchester Hill, September

Attachments

• hf6.JPG
    hf6.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 43
  • hf7a.JPG
    hf7a.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 46
  • hf7b.JPG
    hf7b.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 46
Amazon do not have any of the Falk books in stock at the moment. Does anyone know of a good source of this book at a comparably good price or better?

Regards,
Andrew.

hf6 - Old Winchester Hill, September probably E. arbustorum
hf7 (two pics) - Old Winchester Hill, September Platychirus hf7a looks like albimanus but hf7b does not so if these are same individual best leave it at Platychirus.

Eristalis species

Hello,

This specimen was photographed at Witheridge Moor on Wednesday (17/03/2011). I have it down as Eristalis pertinax. Would that be a good conclsusion?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Eristalis 01.JPG
    Eristalis 01.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 53
Evening,

I have attached three images of a small slim hoverfly species seen at Riverside Valley Park (Exeter, Devon, UK) last Friday. Does it look good for Sphaerophoria scripta?

Regards,
Andrew.

Attachments

• HOVERFLY  01.JPG
    HOVERFLY 01.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 63
  • HOVERFLY  02.JPG
    HOVERFLY 02.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 60
  • HOVERFLY  03.JPG
    HOVERFLY 03.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 56