• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Spoon-bill in Barbados (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Farmer

Earlier this week I was informed by a colleauge that a pair of Eurasian Spoon-bills were seen in the north of the island (Barbados) This is the first recording of the Eurasian Spoon-bill to be seen in Barbados. I was able to get same photos which I posted today.

Thanks for the reply. I like the saying you have about trees, good massage!!! I do plant a lot of trees, mostly palms; when I see a strange palm with seeds, I collect some, plant them in pots and when they are big enough, I plant them in the country side. By the way, I am 53 and I want my children the youngest 7 to enjoy these and other trees later on.

So what's the status of eurasian spoonbill as a migrant in the usa?? I'd be imagining very rare or not even occurred yet???

Barbados has some history of receiving Eurasian birds, which other Caribbean islands don't.

It has been visited by

Gray Heron
Western Reef-Herom
Little Bittern
Eurasian Wigeon
Garganey
Collared Pratincole
Common Ringed Plover
Jack Snipe
Spotted Redshank
Common Greenshank
Wood Sandpiper
Little Stint
Black-headed Gull
Common Cuckoo
Alpine Swift

There must be some unusual wind pattern, but it is really extraordinary what has shown up in Barbados

That's pretty astonishing - the most remarkable of that lot is Cuckoo! Are there any shipping routes which pass Barbados? Not that this would explain two Spoonbills!

At least one possible more boring explanation may be that Barbados is perhaps one of the most watched islands - at least historically. These things could be turning up on Martinique, Antigua, St. Kits etc (or even here) but with relatively few birders on the ground they may all be being missed.

This is a guess mind.

It is no surprise that Barbados receives a fair share of (very lost, but still lucky!) Palearctic vagrants.
• the trade winds are easterly and very powerful (as I've noticed on Aruba!)
• Barbados is the easternmost of the Lesser Antilles
• it is quite far to the south (where trade winds are strongest)
• it is well-birded (for a West Indian location)
• as a small island it is relatively easy to search
Check the arrow from West Africa to South America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_winds

Check http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCBaseline.html for other Palearctic vagrants to the east coast of South America.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back