• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nepal, warbler and hawk (2 Viewers)

pica pica

Hello
A couple that I got stuck on on Nepal over the last two weeks:

First a crown striped Phyllosc seen in the Langtang valley at around 3200m. Most of these types I gave up on but managed to get half decent photos of this one but still can't narrow it down to a species!

Second a hawk seen up the Koshi valley at around 1000m i think. Either a Eurasian sparrowhawk or a Besra but can't decide which. Down to primary projection it seems but is that short or long on this?

thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN0057 copy.jpeg
    DSCN0057 copy.jpeg
    914.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0052 copy.jpeg
    DSCN0052 copy.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0055 copy.jpeg
    DSCN0055 copy.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0854.jpeg
    DSCN0854.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0856.jpeg
    DSCN0856.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 60
I'll leave the Accipiter, but the warbler looks good for Western Crowned - double wingbar, grey legs, extensive orange/pink on lower mandible, diffuse grey/yellow wash to central crown stripe, traces of yellow on breast etc.

Agree its a Blyth's Leaf by a combination of bill proportions which, are too slight for WCW, head pattern, evenly broad posterior wing bar and its rather compact, short-tailed appearance. Further, looking closely at the middle image, though by no means conclusive, P1 is very long while P2 is very short and so more indicative of BLW which has a very rounded wing.

BLW and WCW are superficially very similar and consequently easily confused resulting in a lot of mis-identifications, particularly of WCW, as borne out by the Nepal eBird checklist https://ebird.org/india/region/NP/media?yr=all&m= note there are records for WCW all through the winter period which cannot be correct since its a migratory species, wintering in the W Ghats (Sep-Mar), C India and E Ghats (Nov-Apr).

Regarding the Accipiter narrow black tail bars and pp (too long) should exclude Besra. In the absence of further clues I'd leave as Accipiter sp.

Grahame

Agree its a Blyth's Leaf by a combination of bill proportions which, are too slight for WCW, head pattern, evenly broad posterior wing bar and its rather compact, short-tailed appearance. Further, looking closely at the middle image, though by no means conclusive, P1 is very long while P2 is very short and so more indicative of BLW which has a very rounded wing.

BLW and WCW are superficially very similar and consequently easily confused resulting in a lot of mis-identifications, particularly of WCW, as borne out by the Nepal eBird checklist https://ebird.org/india/region/NP/media?yr=all&m= note there are records for WCW all through the winter period which cannot be correct since its a migratory species, wintering in the W Ghats (Sep-Mar), C India and E Ghats (Nov-Apr).

Regarding the Accipiter narrow black tail bars and pp (too long) should exclude Besra. In the absence of further clues I'd leave as Accipiter sp.

Grahame
Grahame, exceptionally helpful reply as always - thanks for taking the time to explain the plumage in detail, always so much to learn from your contributions!

Grahame
That sounds very comprehensive and knowledgable so I shall happily accept your opinion! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back