• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (2 Viewers)

Surely any Zeiss response is already here - it's called the 42mm Zeiss SF. :smoke: I wouldn't be waiting .....

I think they're still busy paying for that one, the 32mm version, and the 50mm SF which must be into 'up to and more than' it's 5th year of development now ....... :) Swarovski still has the alpha 50mm flat field market to themselves ....... :brains:

I would seriously question whether there will ever be a Zeiss 42mm response to the NL. After all, who is going to notice any marginally increased FOV they manage to come up with ? Dennis ? I don't think that market size covers the cost of development - especially when anyone who wants one would already have an NL (or two, or three :)

Chosun :gh:

Chosun: You seem be mentioning Zeiss, the Victory SF is quite new and is currently at the top of the heap.

The new NL sounds good, but as you should know, it took Swarovski over 10 years to come out with their new flagship.

Jerry

An intriguing interpretation of the best way to make use of the 'hourglass' shape of NL's optical tubes.

Lee

It does not look like he's making use of it, rather he's trying to deal with it....On a second thought the pic contains a subliminal message: Victory.

Last edited:
I would dispute both "tri" and "pod".

Yeah, the picture is somewhat misleading (he might want to send himself in for servicing ! :) - the ring finger of the 'Biological Tripod' should actually be braced against the opposing hand to complete the '3-D bracing truss' ! 3:)

Actually, I'm surprised I haven't seen more about 5-axis stability in the marketing materials ! |:p|

Chosun :gh:

Trying to show off the binocular: get your hand out of the way!

Nothing burger.

Nehh, Arjan is a well known Dutch birding observer who does it for his living and doesn't need that.
It's the way he uses it. Eyecups max in for max FOV and his way of stabilizing.
Was with him a few days in Austria at Swaro's and this is the way he operates.

Jan

I wonder what some of the members here would look like out birding, I am sure I would get some laughs. Being Dutch he at least has height.

Andy W.

Nehh, Arjan is a well known Dutch birding observer who does it for his living and doesn't need that.
Was with him a few days in Austria at Swaro's and this is the way he operates.

Jan

I stand corrected! I've never seen anyone do that before.

I frequently use one hand to either support from below with 2-3 fingers as Arjan is doing in that pic, or with a palm from a bit below and the fingers relaxed/open. In both cases the idea is a relaxed hand instead of clenched grip as I find I have less shake when my hand is more relaxed. I also usually have my non focusing hand further out towards the objective lens to stabilize better. I also change which hand focuses and which supports fairly freely, except on very small bins where I seem to nearly always focus with my right hand.

Couldn't use the bins with the ocular unadjusted, but fingers supporting underneath one barrel is not new, I saw Bill Oddie use it years ago and learned to copy him in my own way:

Being right-handed I usually have my right hand on focuser, forefinger on eyebrow while using middle and 3rd finger to focus; left elbow is tucked against my side and 3 or 4 fingers of left hand supporting under the left barrel of the binocular with left thumb on my cheekbone.
Depends on the size/type the bin, and the position of the focuser. I rarely hold a binocular like the Captain of a Battleship.

An image from the Swarovski Optik Twitter account, dated August 6th: https://twitter.com/swarovskioptik
- so presumedly an officially sanctioned hold

John

Perfectly valid method to hold a binocular. The fingers extended on one hand under one barrel has the advantage of keeping that elbow down against the body and adds considerable stability to the view. Try it if you have not.

There are many good ways to handhold. I find it useful to vary the hold for long viewing sessions. Some self appointed experts are prone to lecture on "the best" method but there is no one best way.

Also, the photo linked does a nice job of showing off the beautiful shape of the NL so not surprised that Swaro used it.

Stephanie

Jan

I've seen the eye cups all the way in for increased field of view several times. A couple of years ago there was a post here with a link to a video of an outdoor writer making the same claim.

That made me curious, so I did some checking. There is a definite appearance of a wider field as eye cups are retracted. However the phenomena is an an apparent one rather than a real one. I checked this out when measuring actual fov on several binoculars. Regardless of the eye cup position, the amount of measurement units visible across the field remains the same, regardless of the eye cup position. You don't need a measuring tape. You can drive a couple of stakes in your yard, taking care to place one at the edges of the fov. With the binocular on a tripod or other steady rest, run the eye cups back and forth. The two stakes remain static in their position in the fov.

Depending on design, eyes, and ergonomics the apparent effect can be either greater or less. So if you enjoy ythe view more with a less than fully extended eye cup, by all means use it. Just be aware the fov does not change. It can certainly appear that it does and the effect can be striking. My assumption is that the black area outside the field stop decreases as the eye cup is retracted.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back