• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (8 Viewers)

Whilst removing the snow from the car this morning a summer plumaged Black-headed Gull flew over, taking my garden list to 44. I'm surprised its took this long to get a BHG as I see them regularly a mile away, but just haven't been able to nail the ID over the garden til today.

Also a female Bullfinch and Goldcrest before work.

My House sparrows are arriving back in good numbers, they have moved back into the space above Ryans bedroom.... you can hear them scurrying around and they have started to throw out the old nesting material down onto the patio and are taking in fresh. They are chirping away in the patio bushes and while sat on the roof. Its nice to have the spring sound back.

Also 7 Siskin and a Goldcrest

We had a bit of blue sky and good light yesterday but today we're back to grey skies and snow |:(|

On the feeder this morning were a group of 5 LTTs. A worrying sight at this time of year. Unless these are 5 same sex left over birds, you'd think they'd have paired up by now.

The GSWs seem to have suspended their courtship. I've seen both M & F this morning but they just seem to be ignoring each other.

I am officially sick of snow |=@|

8599283471_06ba99d629_b.jpg

We had a bit of blue sky and good light yesterday but today we're back to grey skies and snow |:(|

On the feeder this morning were a group of 5 LTTs. A worrying sight at this time of year. Unless these are 5 same sex left over birds, you'd think they'd have paired up by now.

The GSWs seem to have suspended their courtship. I've seen both M & F this morning but they just seem to be ignoring each other.

I am officially sick of snow |=@|

View attachment 434624

Glorious sunshine here :t: and a wonderful image Mark :t:

Could have been a pair and a threesome that just happened along at the same time. LTTs frequently get some help from one of last year's brood.

My good news is that something (quite possibly a Robin) has built a nest in the Robin nestbox that, brimming with optimism, I stuck up about 3 feet from the house a few year's ago. I'll be sneaking peaks over the next few days to see if I can spot the builder.

Whilst removing the snow from the car this morning a summer plumaged Black-headed Gull flew over, taking my garden list to 44. I'm surprised its took this long to get a BHG as I see them regularly a mile away, but just haven't been able to nail the ID over the garden til today.

just ahead of you Bongo 47 species so far

Had a distressing sight yesterday of one of the local cats attacking a male Pheasant :C When I got outside both had disappeared.

CB

Hope it got away ok - a little surprised a cat would tackle a Pheasant.

Glorious sunshine here :t: and a wonderful image Mark :t:

Thanks. Send the sun this way please |=)|

Could have been a pair and a threesome that just happened along at the same time. LTTs frequently get some help from one of last year's brood.

My good news is that something (quite possibly a Robin) has built a nest in the Robin nestbox that, brimming with optimism, I stuck up about 3 feet from the house a few year's ago. I'll be sneaking peaks over the next few days to see if I can spot the builder.

Good to read. I was going to say that I've seen no sign of nest building here so far but, just as the light failed, a Crow flew over with a twig in it's mouth :t:

Had a distressing sight yesterday of one of the local cats attacking a male Pheasant :C When I got outside both had disappeared.

CB

Hope there was no harm done. I must get some shots of our cat when the Pheasants descend on our garden. He's scared stiff of them. He sits howling at the back door asking to be let in with Pheasants happily chomping away not six feet from him!:cat:

Bought an insect house from Morrisons this week.

Says to put on a tree or post, but any idea at what height ?

Bird wise, 3 wood pigeons on the grass this morning, along with 6 starlings and approximately 15 house sparrows. Pair of coal tits using the table (still not bought a new one :eek!:) and a robin chasing off dunnocks in earnest !

Good to read. I was going to say that I've seen no sign of nest building here so far but, just as the light failed, a Crow flew over with a twig in it's mouth :t:

There must be some other activity, apart from the Robin, because the horsehair (placed in a peanut-feeder) has been disappearing quite rapidly.

There must be some other activity, apart from the Robin, because the horsehair (placed in a peanut-feeder) has been disappearing quite rapidly.

Just hoovered up after 3 cats (2 longhairs), and putting the fuzz in a peanut feeder as well, let's see if there's any takers :t:

Reed bunting and collared dove on the grass this morning, starlings out in force early as well.

Sun is shining, hoping to get more finches in the garden this spring.

Any tips food wise ?

Reed bunting and collared dove on the grass this morning, starlings out in force early as well.

Sun is shining, hoping to get more finches in the garden this spring.

Any tips food wise ?

Sunflower Hearts or sunflower seeds should do the trick :t: I have 2 x feeders up with these, I now reduce the nyger to just one which still attracts the Goldfinch during the spring and summer

Still very cold here today with a few snow flurries, but brighter for the first day of British summertime :eek!:

I counted three pairs of GTs chasing each other round the trees and two pairs of LTTs |=)|

Our resident male Pheasant, Henry, has added a 7th female to his harem, those girls can put some food away! Henry isn't nearly as timid as his girlfriends, I can get fairly close to him before he'll move. I'm deliberately not doing that though, I don't want him to start trusting people.

8605396309_c35d918f51_b.jpg 8606253650_535cf65506_b.jpg

Sunflower Hearts or sunflower seeds should do the trick :t: I have 2 x feeders up with these, I now reduce the nyger to just one which still attracts the Goldfinch during the spring and summer

Not used them at this house before, but thinking about it, had greenfinches, bullfinches and siskins before. Will go invest !!

Also a garden tick this afternoon, oystercatcher flying overhead calling :t:

Need to get the list, see what the number is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back