• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List (1 Viewer)

Sounds like a great place. I used to go ringing at a place on the Severn...I think just into Powys, and it was a mazing the amount of passage that went down the valley.

By the way your 44 has one species, Buzzard, that I haven't ever seen here, and once..Corn Bunting, that I have only one record of! Yellowhammers are thin on the ground too

Buzzards are hugely common here , I've seen 11 circling in one group ! But pretty much every day you will see at least a couple of Buzzards . There have also been recently reports of Honey and Rough-legged Buzzards seen about , although I havn't seen them . Not 100% sure I'd definately be able to possitively ID them anyway ?
Honeys have the whiter under-wing right ? and Rough-legged have the white upper tail I think ? I remember something about one of them having a longer necked appearence when flying ... I'm very hazy in many areas of birding . But , I'm working hard on bettering my ID skills every day .

Jane
Living right near to the middle of England I've got no chance of getting anywhere near to your list total but I notice there's not a Hobby on your above list.

I've seen Hobbies sveral times from the garden, including one incident a few years ago.

I was working up the top of the garden and was aware of a Carrion Crow on the chimney of a nearby house.

Suddenly it's call changed from the familiar "caw" to a sound which I can best describe as sounding like Tim Brook-Taylor doing his 'Lady Constance' voice (if you've ever heard the radio programme 'I'm sorry I'll read that again' you'll know what I mean)!

Looking up I saw a Hobby come dashing thro' the gardens just a few feet away like an exocet missile! It was going that fast I had a job to turn my head quickly enough to keep up with it!

Jane, that is a fantastic Garden List, you must live in a wonderful place. In Australia we don't have the interesting ducks that you have over there. No real sea ducks which I find exciting to see when I am over there, but I suppose they are commonplace to you. It would be wonderful to wake up to see an airbourne flock of Bar-tailed Godwit from your bed!
I can't complain though.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back