• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader digital camera adapter (1 Viewer)

JohnMac

Hello all, I have just purchased the following item from Sherwoods: BAADER MICROSTAGE 6030 2" DIGITAL CAMERA ADAPTER.

Here is a short review, which, I hope might prove instructive to others.

The adapter is made from ABS aluminium alloy and plastic, with a stated load of 2.0Kgmax. Scope eyepiece sizes suitable for use are given as 30-60/1,2-2,4"(mm/In) diameter. It is 168mm high and weighs in at 350g.

The adapter is well made, and incredibly easy to use. The camera stage usefully features two separate 'tracks' a few cm's apart which is handy if your camera has an offset tripod thread on the base. It features an X,Y adjustment via screw threads which have large knurled knobs to make adjustment easy and precise. Once attached it does not swing away, although I personally do not see this as a negative.

I attached my Nikon coolpix P5100 to my Opticron scope in under 5 minutes ( and I am incredibly cack-handed!!). There is no vignetting over the zoom range, and the entire asembly is stable and free from creep or vibration when assembled. It is easy to attach, and requires no assembly.

I bought mine from Sherwoods, Warwickshire, who provided a most excellent service- I ordered it at 10am yesterday and it was on my doorstep at 10am today!.

At £29 I don't see how it can be bettered. It is well made, easy to use, and easy to obtain. 10/10 from me.:t:

Did you decide against the new swing away version or order the wrong one?;)

The original Microstage is a good solid adapter and the vernier screws are great for fine adjustments. It's a shame they are not used on the new model.

I too have had excellent service from Sherwoods and would recommend them unreservedly.

Ron

I decided against the swing away type, call me old fashioned, but I feel that when I have everything set up I want it to stay where it is! The screw adjustments are very well made and are smooth in operation- the whole assembly has a solid and quality feel. I am very impressed. ( I used a similar device when I was a professional photographer, for making images with a macro lens- medical and dental photography principally.)

Regards,

JOHN

Hi John
I have used this myself and whilst I found it very good for the money I did find that the "lock" knob on the front, which stops any movement when the correct position is found, to be wanting in regards to strength. I broke this in no time but whilst I had the adaptor modified to allow it to swing away I also had the centre knob replaced in a stronger form.

It really is a good bracket though. I always get asked if I am selling it but although I have the SRB swing bracket I feel strangely reluctant to let it go.

Thanks for the advice re the adjuster, I will bear that in mind. it does, allready, feel like an old reliable friend! I have been testing it in my garden today, in strong winds here in Worcestershire, and it is performing very well. I have it attached to my old studio tripod, a manfrotto 055C which I used to use to support a Linhof large format camera. I think a real solid tripod makes a world of difference! Off to Slimbridge tomorrow!!!!:t:

baader microstage 2

i have just got the new baader microstage 2 I bought mine from Sherwoods ordered monday 3pm receved it tuesday 10:30am excellent service.

its very well made thumb screw all metal very no plastic in sight
rigid construction it takes slightly longer to setup than the 1st mirostage but once setup you can digiscope and use your scope and for only £29.99,

it has a big thumbs up from me

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 268
i have just got the new baader microstage 2 I bought mine from Sherwoods ordered monday 3pm receved it tuesday 10:30am excellent service.

rigid construction it takes slightly longer to setup than the 1st mirostage but once setup you can digiscope and use your scope and for only £29.99,

Useful photos and it looks very good, especially for the price. Sherwood's service has been excellent when I have bought from them.

Thanks for posting.:t:

Ron

Quick question, how close does the lens when extended need to be to the eyepiece

microstage 2

the lens is around 5mm away from the eyepiece
the metal pole is a shutter release adapter i am the process of making which will just clamp to the microstage.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 180
the lens is around 5mm away from the eyepiece
the metal pole is a shutter release adapter i am the process of making which will just clamp to the microstage.
Just an idea, which you might consider or disregard. Instead of the washer on top of the bottom bar below the shutter release pole, how about a piece of aluminium L section which lines up with the front of the camera when it is in the correct position? You could then just screw on the camera and push it forward to the angle section and it would be square and the correct distance from the eyepiece. Just a thought.

Ron

microstage 2

Just an idea, which you might consider or disregard. Instead of the washer on top of the bottom bar below the shutter release pole, how about a piece of aluminium L section which lines up with the front of the camera when it is in the correct position? You could then just screw on the camera and push it forward to the angle section and it would be square and the correct distance from the eyepiece. Just a thought.

Ron

thanks for the suggestion ron that would have been a good idea but i have completed it now.

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 217
Hi Guys,

Just followed your most helpful information and the supplied photographs on the Baader Microstage 2 and ordered one this morning from Sherwoods.

Speaking to a person at Sherwoods, he thinks there is a possibility that Baader may discontinue the original Baader Microstage in favour of this new Mark 2 version. At least Sherwoods will probably only stock the Mark 2 regardless.

Jace2004 - What did you use to create your shutter release adapter?

Regards,

Bill

Hi Guys,

Just followed your most helpful information and the supplied photographs on the Baader Microstage 2 and ordered one this morning from Sherwoods.

Speaking to a person at Sherwoods, he thinks there is a possibility that Baader may discontinue the original Baader Microstage in favour of this new Mark 2 version. At least Sherwoods will probably only stock the Mark 2 regardless.

Jace2004 - What did you use to create your shutter release adapter?

Regards,

Bill

I used scraps from around the workshop.

10mm steal tube,
3, 20mm washers,
1, 6mm nut,
some 6mm threaded studding,
1, 4mm nut for cable release
1, 6mm wing nut
and a piece of flat bar
and used a high impact metal glue
the thread stud runs thew the steal tube

hope this helps

Attachments

• DSC_0003di.jpg
    DSC_0003di.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 161
Thank you Jace, I shall have to take a look around to see what I can put together on a similar scale, appreciate your drawing too...but I still prefer your photo of the real finished article ;-)

Best Wishes,

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back