• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (2 Viewers)

I found a number of green shieldbugs, Palomena prasina, on a viburnum bush in my garden. Two were mating and I noticed that one had a brownish edge to the abdomen and was pinkish-brown on the underside.
Is there a colour difference between the sexes or was one still emerging from winter 'plumage'?

Hello Mis,

Your final thought is correct, it takes some Shieldbugs a little longer than others to develope their full colouring after hibernation. The different sexes are fully mature after hibernation and can mate within a day or so after emerging from their diapause.

Harry.

A couple of species photographed recently :-
Parent Bug, seem to be finding these everywhere i look this year after struggling to them last year.
Gorse Shieldbug.

Stuart.

Attachments

• Parent Bug.jpg
    Parent Bug.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Gorse Shieldbug.jpg
    Gorse Shieldbug.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Gorse Shieldbug2.jpg
    Gorse Shieldbug2.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 97
how can find the common hawthorn shield bug?

Hello mandi,

The easiest way is to use a beating tray, hold it under the branches of Hawthorn, Sloe, or almost any berry bearing bush. Hit the branches above the tray with a stick and if they're present they will drop into the tray, along with all sorts of larvae, spiders and other insects.

OR, you could spread a sheet out under the bush and hit the branches. It's less convenient to do it this way, especially if there is a wind. You don't have to belabour the bush, a smart tap will suffice. The adults will be dying off shortly after having mated and laid ova, so don't leave it too long before having a go at finding them.

Whilst this Shieldbug bears the name Hawthorn, it is by no means confined to this particular bush. I have found it on just about every common species of shrub, bush or tree. Good luck.

Harry.

As you say 'Cool' I get to see one about every ten years. lol.

I was on the Welsh border a couple of weeks ago and 100+ flew in to small building plot.

Attachments

• kington 21042007-44a.jpg
    kington 21042007-44a.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 98
  • kington 21042007-69.jpg
    kington 21042007-69.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 115
I was on the Welsh border a couple of weeks ago and 100+ flew in to small building plot.

That's one of the advantages of living in the southern part of Britain, there are more Shieldbug species to be found. The further north you go the less there are to be seen. The Sloe Bug is on the very edge of it's range in the most northern counties of England.

Over the past thirty or so years the distribution of some of the Shieldbug species has been changing slowly and they are movig north. E.g. Fifty years ago the Hawthorn Shieldbug had just reached Co.Durham, today it can be found over most of Scotland.

Harry

Hello mandi,

The easiest way is to use a beating tray, hold it under the branches of Hawthorn, Sloe, or almost any berry bearing bush. Hit the branches above the tray with a stick and if they're present they will drop into the tray, along with all sorts of larvae, spiders and other insects.

Harry.

If you don't have a beating tray an upturned umbrella makes a good substitute.

If you don't have a beating tray an upturned umbrella makes a good substitute.

That's true, a large Golfing umbrella will do very well for occasional use, and they're cheap. I've seen them for less than a fiver in garages (of all places), probably even cheaper at a car boot sale.

Harry

Went to the same spot in Breckland where i found a few Odontoscelis lineola last year & once again was searching under Storksbill leaves, only this time i managed to find 2 specimens of Arenocoris falleni, photos attached.
The books say these are coastal?

Stuart.

Attachments

• falleni1.jpg
    falleni1.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 89
  • falleni2.jpg
    falleni2.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 94
Dolycoris baccarum eggs

Spotted it laying eggs but by the time I had run in to get the camera it had trundled off. I was going to keep an eye on these and take more photos as and when the young emerged but, I forgot when I was weeding and pulled the plant out.
We get a fair amount of these round the Notts area

Attachments

• DSC_3577.jpg
    DSC_3577.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_4487 copy.jpg
    DSC_4487 copy.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 78
Spotted it laying eggs but by the time I had run in to get the camera it had trundled off. I was going to keep an eye on these and take more photos as and when the young emerged but, I forgot when I was weeding and pulled the plant out.
We get a fair amount of these round the Notts area

Kris, this one found in our garden appears to be the same species (Dolycoris baccarum?). Does it have a common name?
Ken

Attachments

• shieldbug (800).jpg
    shieldbug (800).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 81
Kris, this one found in our garden appears to be the same species (Dolycoris baccarum?). Does it have a common name?
Ken

Hello Ken,

It is the same species (D. baccarum) otherwise known as the Sloe Bug. It can be found on just about anything but Sloe. lol. It's as rare as Hen's teeth in my neck of the woods. I'm a little too far north.

Harry

Last edited:
Many thanks, Harry. I think this one was on hazel though I'm not sure.
Ken

PS We also have loads of a smaller species but I've not managed to get a very good photo - they seem to be a bit camera shy.

Attachments

• shieldbugs (800).jpg
    shieldbugs (800).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 88
Many thanks, Harry. I think this one was on hazel though I'm not sure.
Ken

PS We also have loads of a smaller species but I've not managed to get a very good photo - they seem to be a bit camera shy.

Ken,

Those are the Woundwort Shieldbug Eysarcoris fabricii. Another species I don't get up north.

Harry

Hello Harry, all,

I found some green shieldbugs (Palomena prasina) eggs 3 days ago on a Crocosmia leaf in the garden, and today they hatched. Here are some pics I got, the first taken 3 days ago, and the rest taken today.

Leo

Attachments

• YX9J2911_sm.jpg
    YX9J2911_sm.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 107
  • YX9J3020_sm.jpg
    YX9J3020_sm.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 87
  • YX9J3159_sm.jpg
    YX9J3159_sm.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 91
  • YX9J3162_sm.jpg
    YX9J3162_sm.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 78
Hello Harry, all,

I found some green shieldbugs (Palomena prasina) eggs 3 days ago on a Crocosmia leaf in the garden, and today they hatched. Here are some pics I got, the first taken 3 days ago, and the rest taken today.

Leo

Nice pics Leo, thanks for sharing.

Harry

Hiya,

I took a couple of pics of shield bugs at a business park in Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich last week. I think one is a sloe shield bug and the other is a Bishop's Mitre. Am I right?

Cheers

Jo

Attachments

• shield-bug-web.jpg
    shield-bug-web.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 76
  • sheild-bug-2-web.jpg
    sheild-bug-2-web.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 94
Id?

I thought this must be a green shieldbug but having seen the posts above I'm not so sure.

Attachments

• green shieldbug 1b (800).jpg
    green shieldbug 1b (800).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back