• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Butterfly ID - Help Please (1 Viewer)

I think it's far too small to be a meadow brown. It may be one of the many ringlets. I'm out of my depth, I'm afraid. You could try guy padfield's site, which has photos of many European butterflies.
http://www.guypadfield.com/
I'm not sure what you mean by 'closed wingspan'. If you mean the span of one wing, then it's actual wingspan would be slightly more than double that... say 1".

checklg said:
Thanks for this. It looks like a Small Heath.

Regards,
Graham.
It does... with part of its forewing missing, which is handy 'cos you can see it's hindwing marking. (I've often seen them with the hindwing protruding more than on this one. I've got a photo of one somewhere which I'll post for comparison when I find it--taken in Surrey, UK.)
Ken

Attachments

• small_heath.jpg
    small_heath.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back