• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo quick release plates (1 Viewer)

Wachtel

I bought a G2380 with plates for my scope and long lens. The double screw plate for the lens works well but the small plate for the scope is trickier. The screw that attaches the plaste to the scope works loose.

I miss the good lock on the Manfrotto plate!

I could use Loctite or similar but then the plate is not so easy to take off.

Any ideas?

There is some thing in the UK called PTFE tape it is used on pipe work to help seal joints or to make a thread tighter .
It is very very thin tape im sure its worth a try if you can get it in Sweden.
Rob.

I bought a G2380 with plates for my scope and long lens. The double screw plate for the lens works well but the small plate for the scope is trickier. The screw that attaches the plaste to the scope works loose.

I miss the good lock on the Manfrotto plate!

I could use Loctite or similar but then the plate is not so easy to take off.

Any ideas?

Very simple - use the other half's nail varnish! It locks the threads very securely against vibration but releases much more easily than Locktite when you need to change things about. Make certain the threads are clean and it works a treat.
Locktite is a wonderful product - but sometimes it is too good!

I used something very simple, a piece of thin plastic (from a bag), threaded on to the screw to act ac a "wacher". Just came back from four days in the field and it stayed put all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back