• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Yeah... a great pity - where were you? It would've been good to have a chat.

I was one of the lucky few,who seen the Grey Pharalope In the morning.I was walking back and forth on the Beach all morning until early afternoon.The big,thick,Maroon,Heart of Midlothian FC woolly hat Is my trademark plumage In winter...!

Hopefully next time Delia.

Change of plans meant I got to Carnoustie around Saturday lunchtime but didn't manage to get a sighting, plenty people and dogs around as been said above, looks like I should have hung around a bit longer though.

Jim.

no sign of the phalarope today ,8 birders were searching for it ,1 female long tailed duck out on the sea plus a lot of dunlin some redshanks /turnstones/1 ringed plover/ 2 wrens/1 pied wagtail /cormorants/eiders/curlew/1 heron

Attachments

• pied wagtail.JPG
    pied wagtail.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 58
  • wren.JPG
    wren.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 65
  • dunlin.JPG
    dunlin.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 65
"Dave" the Diver has never actually been away. A combination of the damaged wing and the stuck lock gate has conspired to keep "him(?)" there all year. No idea when he first arrived, but it was Christmas Day last year that I first spotted him. I have 100s of photos now of Red Throated Diver. Some of the better ones are on flickr (including some where he's caught a rather large coalfish).
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=93995449@N00&q=red throated diver dundee

Last edited:
there was a sea eagle flying around on the tay at 2.35 pm today,i saw it while walking on tentsmuir beach,it was quite far out and would have been better viewed from Dundee ,first time I have seen a sea eagle in flight :t:,
it was a tagged bird (blue tag)but I only got records shots and couldn,t make out any lettering ,it landed on the east end of the island (cant remember the name of it )that's just offshore from tentsmuir

Attachments

• eagle3.JPG
    eagle3.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 73
  • eagle4.JPG
    eagle4.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 87
  • eagle2.JPG
    eagle2.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 66
  • eagle.JPG
    eagle.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 101
Out for a 12 mile walk around Dundee to and from the Nature Park today. Just started a blog so the story can be read here....

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/and-were-off.html

Final total was 47 species - 30 at the Nature Park, and 36 outwith.

Herring Gull, Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Bullfinch, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Cormorant, Curlew, Fieldfare, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Grey Heron, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Jay, Long Tailed Tit, Mistle Thrush, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Red Breasted Merganser, Redshank, Red Throated Diver, Redwing, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rock Pipit, Siskin, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Treecreeper, Woodpigeon, Wren, plus Bar Tailed Godwit, Buzzard, Dunlin, Dunnock, Kestrel, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Song Thrush, Teal and Yellowhammer at the Park.

Attachments

• 300_9323 20140101_105818 .jpg
    300_9323 20140101_105818 .jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 300_9312 20140101_101637 .jpg
    300_9312 20140101_101637 .jpg
    392 KB · Views: 45
  • 300_9354 20140101_121611 .jpg
    300_9354 20140101_121611 .jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 36
Another 12 mile walk today. From my house to Barry village along the coast (mostly).

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/down-by-river-mostly.html

Final total was 52 species - 20 new for my yearlist, which is now on 67.

Bar Tailed Godwit, Blackbird, Black Headed Gull, Blue Tit, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Collared Dove, Common Gull, Cormorant, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Eider, Golden Plover, Goldfinch, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Heron, Grey Plover, Herring Gull, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Knot, Lapwing, Linnet, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, (Pink Footed?) Goose, Pintail, Red Breasted Merganser, Redshank, Redwing, Ringed Plover, Robin, Feral Pigeon, Rock Pipit, Rook, Sanderling, Siskin, Starling, Tree Sparrow, Tufted Duck, Turnstone, Wigeon, Woodpigeon.

Attachments

• DSC_6253 20140102_120520 .jpg
    DSC_6253 20140102_120520 .jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_6281 20140102_123517 .jpg
    DSC_6281 20140102_123517 .jpg
    98 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I checked piper dam today to see if there was any sign of last years male smew, no smew seen but one was reported on birdguides at port allen which is not too far away, 21 whoopers were the highlight here,most were adults with just a couple of juvs,the whoopers were swimming with 25 Canada geese and at times they were just 20 feet away, other birds seen
goldeneye/mallard/greylag x1/pied wagtail/coot/moorhen/mute swan/black headed gull/common gull x1/carrion crow/cormorant/tufted duck/herring gull

Attachments

• whoopers1.JPG
    whoopers1.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 33
  • whoopers2.JPG
    whoopers2.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 37
  • whoopers3.JPG
    whoopers3.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 36
Oh but there's hope he may pop up over the hill yet Kawwauser; as you say, not far is it.

It's great to see them becoming more regular here in the winter now.

Two days of varied birding locally at the weekend. Walked from Leuchars round the coast to Tayport with 2 Ravens and 60+ Snow Buntings the highlights on Saturday.
Sunday, I spent the day in Dundee City Centre where the mixed highlights were Red Throated Diver, Little Grebe, Buzzard and Waxwings.

Saturday details (with photos) -
http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/another-long-walk-1214.html

Sunday details (with photos) -
http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/quality-not-quantity-2214.html

Thursday 6th Feb

Piperdam ~13:00
Canada geese on far side of loch, whoopers, mutes, mallards, goldeneyes, tufted ducks, a greylag goose, loads of coots and black headed gulls.

Clatto reservoir ~14:00
Slavonian grebe on far side of reservoir, coots, tufted ducks, goosanders, black headed gulls, moorhens, mute swans, goldeneyes.

Monikie Park ~15:00
Pochards (4 males on north pond), tufties, goosanders, little grebes.
On south pond, wigeon, mute swans, tufties, mallards, goldeneye.
In trees, siskin, robins, goldfinches, blue tits, great tits, great spotted woodpecker and a mistle thrush.

Hawfinch and Common Cranes

After having to work,while the last Scottish Bash was held,I decided to head down to Scone Palace today,In the hope of seeing Hawfinch,having dipped the last time I was there.

Within 10 minutes of walking up the path from the Pond,I soon seen 4,In the trees at the back of the Pony/Donkey enclosure.Super wee birds and they allowed great views.Also on the grounds,I had female Sparrowhawk,Common Buzzard,Great spotted Woodpecker and Jay,which Is my bogey bird.

On heading from Scone to Kinnordy,I was delighted to come across 2 Common Cranes In a flooded field at a place called Long Logie Farm.Needless to say,I had a great day.

We also went to Scone yesterday, having missed the bash (Daniel had the dreaded winter vomiting bug). Astonishing numbers of hawfinches around the back entrance, mostly up in tall trees but also coming down to feed in the yews. We saw at least 35 but there could have been more than 50!

Rob

What time was that Rob ? I was there for 9am.Wish I had stayed around now.Then again,If I did,I would possibly have missed the Cranes.The frustration grows..!

We also went to Scone yesterday, having missed the bash (Daniel had the dreaded winter vomiting bug). Astonishing numbers of hawfinches around the back entrance, mostly up in tall trees but also coming down to feed in the yews. We saw at least 35 but there could have been more than 50!

Rob

You guys are so lucky 35-50 Hawfinches, would love to be be able to go birding on my local patch and find Common Cranes and Hawfinches.
Excellent birding North of the border, Hebrides in May for me so cannot moan too much. Lol

Damian

I didn,t think I was going to get out and about today,i got screwdriver held against my neck last night at craigie drive in an unsuccessful robbery attempt at 11.25 pm while working,i spent the next 4 hours between a police building in the city quay (didn,t know this place existed)and bell street getting swabbed/photos taken/statements,forensics wanted my taxi first thing this morning to try for prints and I couldn,t drive it till they were finished,all this on the best day we have had this year,i eventually got out early afternoon and headed for monikie,there were 3 birds I was hoping for here,kingfisher/pochard/little grebe,found all 3 surprisingly quickly,the little grebes(2) were on the far left of the north pond,the kingfisher was again on the north pond and was perched by the side of the water and flew towards the piers,the pochards (4)all on the same pond,lots of goldeneye about plus a single calling redshank,i found a diver on the main pond which I wasn,t sure about,(put pic in q&a thread)still not 100% sure of this bird,i headed down to the city quay to see the red throated diver there to see if I could make a decision,but was still left uncertain,there was a cormorant on a lamppost here which looked unusual,i finnshed off my short day checking the gulls at riverside nature park,no lssb gulls yet but I had good views of a pair of greenfinch and the now more frequently seen grey wagtail

Attachments

• diver1.jpg
    diver1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 79
  • cormorant.JPG
    cormorant.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 35
  • heron.JPG
    heron.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 40
  • greenfinch.JPG
    greenfinch.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 35
  • gwagtail.JPG
    gwagtail.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 47
Hope you're recovering from your incident - you must have been pretty shaken up!

The diver is definitely a great northern. Good bird!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back