• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Songbird Surprise in Mesa, Arizona (1 Viewer)

AdAstra09

Hi, All:

It's too overcast and cold (for Phoenix, anyway, 60 degrees is COLD) and miserable to go anywhere today, so I decided to practice my photography on the Inca Doves that are at my apartment. I know the tree where they go to roost, so I figured it would be a great time to practice my spot metering and manual focus skills on these readily available birds. I have never seen anything but grackles, mourning doves, Inca Doves, pigeons, and house sparrows, so imagine my suprise when I saw not one, but TWO songbirds flitting about in what I call the "Inca Dove Tree". I also saw a hummingbird singing it's heart out in a neighboring tree. It's amazing what you notice when you start looking.
The first bird is an Inca Dove, I think the 2nd is a male house finch, the hummingbird I'm going to identify as Anna's. My reasoning is that Anna's and Costa's are probably the most common around here, but Costa's hummingbirds prefer a desert habitat, according to my field guide, while Anna's prefer 'open woods, garden's and park's'which is closer to my apartment habitat. Pictures III and IV are the same bird, could not get a clear photo. It's a grey bird with a yellow face, very tiny. I'm not sure what it is.
As a side note, it has occurred to me that given the number of apartment buildings in most major cities, if developers hired landscapers to plant native bird and butterfly friendly plants on their complexes, they could probably increase biodiversity by 20-30% in the cities. And it's hard to imagine anyone not liking seeing birds and butterflies on their way to work.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 58
The bill looks as ''straight as a dye''...a good feature for Anna's,..would most likely be curved on Costa's.

cheers

Thanks! I never would have gotten the verdin. The photo in my book looks too different but a cursory google images search shows a bunch of identical birds from different angles. And thanks for the tip on the hummingbird beaks. Birding is such an addictive hobby. Seeing each new bird is like discovering buried treasure

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back