• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IS or not when digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

Tord

Hi,

The background is the following: Most (if not all) cameras that have Image Stabilizer also have a setting to turn IS on or off, sometimes also there is the optiond to disable horizontal IS. When reading through the cameras' user manual you will read something like "IS is recommended to be turned off when tripod is used to avoid erratic results".

I would like to discuss practical experience regarding this topic, if IS on or off is the right way to go? Have you noticed significant changes?

Related to the topic is also what exposure time you feel comfortable with when digiscoping.

For reference: I use Canon Powershot S95, and in most cases use timer delay to avoid vibrations to the extent possible.

BR
Tord

I think there's some threads discussing this in the digiscoping camera section. I think most people turn it off if using a tripod but if you hand hold the camera behind the eyepiece then keep it turned on. The reason for turning it off on the tripod is that the vibrations from a tripod are different to those generated by hand movement which is what IS is designed to suppress. With IS turned on the camera is expecting to see that erratic hand movement and if it isn't detected then the camera can actually introduce its own sensor movement while it looks for hand movement.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back