• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (2 Viewers)

Slight suggestion of spring this morning - a couple of Meadow Pipits over, and two male Siskins dropped into the feeders - they seldom do any more than fly over 300ft up here.

The Blackcap is present almost continuously.

I can see thousands of Gulls out on the low tide edge, but they are too far away to ID anything out of the ordinary

Attachments

• DSCN8692.JPG
    DSCN8692.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
3 male Siskins on the feeders this morning, the male Blackcap singing his lungs out in the sunshine and 8000 Gulls on the tide edge (too far to claim anything more exciting than a 1st W Yellow-legged gull, but a couple a large dark ones!)

I'm back to working in the office (seawatch hide) so when I get bored I can look out of the window. There is the usual male Peregrine on the beach and about 30 Scaup offshore.

I might spend today seeing if I can do some sort of webcam (while I'm pretending to work!)

Thinking of visiting your neck of the woods this saturday Jane, if all goes well, any tips as to where to go and what to see would be appreciated, it's always best to get a little local knowledge :t: planning the train to Hoylake with the bike in tow so anywhere within cycling distance and i read somewhere that the RSPB are around the area helping people out but not sure where

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

Yes I believe that there will be high tide watch at Kings Gap... So if you come out of the station, leave the railway line behind you, you will be able to see a road which came through a level crossing and heads towards a roundabout. Go straight over the roundabout and that is Kings Gap. The road forks and you keep right (ie not in front of the Greenlodge Hotel) and within a couple of hundred yards, you'll see the sea. West Kirby Marine Lake usually has some Sea Duck, and if you send me your mobile number in a PM, I'll let you know of anything else about.

Thinking of visiting your neck of the woods this saturday Jane, if all goes well, any tips as to where to go and what to see would be appreciated, it's always best to get a little local knowledge :t: planning the train to Hoylake with the bike in tow so anywhere within cycling distance and i read somewhere that the RSPB are around the area helping people out but not sure where

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

Yes RSPB are in the area on Saturday - see four/five posts above by me!

Its not too far by bike - if you are fit - however it can be a hideous ride back if the wind is in your face! I've been known to head inland and tack!

Very close to New Brighton Station - change at Birkenhead North from memory, but the merseyrail map will show you - trains go direct from all Liverpool stations to West Kirby and New Brighton. You need to get off at Hoylake for the high tide event

we were there today a decent turn out of people and a good showing from the birds too, not sure if the highlight of the day was the grey plover or the peregrine being seen off by an oystercatcher

Was there myself, must have passed each other, i was the one on the blue and yellow bike, highlights for me were the Bar Tailed Godwits and three or four Twite landed on the beach by the lifeboat station and then the Pale Bellied Brents at West Kirby

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/?saved=1

47 or 48 Scaup (I get a different count each time) quite close in opposite the house just now.

I just put the house list into Bubo and got 66 species - seems i can't count, though American Herring Gull was not on - for superstitious reasons

Last edited:
Not yet, though I've had it the other side of the lifeboat station a few times - when it warms up I'll have some windows open and I'll hear it

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back