• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (4 Viewers)

This used to be such a good site for migrants but I suspect a lack of people watching and the fact it's so overgrown now makes it much harder to pick birds up. I must try harder and visit from time to time.

This used to be such a good site for migrants but I suspect a lack of people watching and the fact it's so overgrown now makes it much harder to pick birds up. I must try harder and visit from time to time.

"used to be" - in the last three years it's had a 5th and 12th for Britain. The majority of rarities over the years have been found by a small group of regular visitors, several of which are less active at the moment for a variety of reasons but there are probably few days when there isn't someone there birding.

Just taken this from my kitchen window. I counted 26 but they were coming and going all the time. There could easily have been 30 or more.

Attachments

• Waxwings, Brunswick Green 1.jpg
    Waxwings, Brunswick Green 1.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Seems to be plenty of waxwings around right now. Seen them in Cramlington and a couple of places in Ashington the last few days.

16-18 were at Ashington Asda Petrol station today

Attachments

• waxwing1.jpg
    waxwing1.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 50
  • waxwing4.jpg
    waxwing4.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 40
Black Redstart still in trees & adjacent rooftops on south side of Newcastle Cathedral this morning. Looks to be an adult male :t:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 65
Seems to be plenty of waxwings around right now. Seen them in Cramlington and a couple of places in Ashington the last few days.

16-18 were at Ashington Asda Petrol station today

There were 20 or so Waxwings on Sat and Sun on Salter's Road in Gosforth in tree tops beside the open field next to Princes Meadow estate.

Also close-up views of Kingfisher (in front of hide for over an hour on Sun) and great flight views of Bittern at Gosforth Park NR. Also Grey Wag, Bullfinch, and Woodcock reported.

Andy

45 Waxwings in Newcastle at the south end of Jesmond between Windsor Place & Haldane Terrace this morning; flew off S into Northumbria University area.

Trying to contact Baybirder but failing - again!! Someone else might know if there are shorelarks at the mouth of the burn between Druridge Pools and Chevington. Hopefully if there are they will stay until February and my annual visit!! Also please chase any surplus waxwings west asap. I have been drooling at the number of eastern migrants you have been seeing. Yellow browed warbler is a bird of myth and legend here.

Someone else might know if there are shorelarks at the mouth of the burn between Druridge Pools and Chevington. Hopefully if there are they will stay until February and my annual visit!!

7 Shorelarks reported still there this morning - very long shot that they'll stay till February, though!

Lots of action at Chevington on Sunday...
Great views of Shore Lark x 7 still at Chevington Burn mouth.
Female Hen Harrier constantly hunting all over the site all morning.
Bittern in flight from South to North pool.
4 Scaup on North pool.

Andy

Lots of action at Chevington on Sunday...
Great views of Shore Lark x 7 still at Chevington Burn mouth.
Female Hen Harrier constantly hunting all over the site all morning.
Bittern in flight from South to North pool.
4 Scaup on North pool.

Andy

Bittern also seen on Saturday morning, which was fab! And three (maybe 4) otters on-and-around the island. No Hen (or Marsh) Harrier for me though :(

Three Tundra Bean Geese in with the Pink Feet opposite Snab Point this morning.

Attachments

• Bean Goose, Snab Point 1.jpg
    Bean Goose, Snab Point 1.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Bean Goose, Snab Point 2.jpg
    Bean Goose, Snab Point 2.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Bean Goose, Snab Point 3.jpg
    Bean Goose, Snab Point 3.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 46
http://baybirding.blogspot.co.uk/

NZ 271982

Re the above blog which I regularly follow from Northern Ireland (and I met the author in Feb 2015 while birding Druridge Bay with my pal). I would like to comment on stuff and chip in with ID of plants but it says that only a member of this blog can comment. Can someone let me how I become a member or let him know that I cannot comment if it is set up as it is.

Yours frustrated!!

He's my neighbour. His intention was more for the blog to act as a source of information for local birders, IIRC, so he didn't set it up to allow comments. He is on Twitter, but as I don't twit I don't know his 'nym there.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back