• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites In Essex (1 Viewer)

visiting my mother this evening and got out of my car to see a red kite low over the street, Terling (CM3 2PG) at 5.45 today, wing and tail feathers were a bit tatty.

I spoke to her neighbour during the evening and she had seen it as well and said she and her husband had seen one several times lately.

Only about 400 metres from where I saw my first ever Essex Red kite on 9th March 2009

spent the morning around Hatfield Peverel, Boreham & Terling area, (see Essex birding thread ) wasback on the A12 bridge as i was putting my camera back in the car the star of the day - a red kite passed very close and quite low between the trees and down the embankment towards the A12, by the time I got the lens cover off it was disappearing into the trees south of the A12!

2 in 3 days - a record for me in Essex!!!

I wonder how long it will be before we have sights like this in Essex? 65 in the first picture!

Attachments

• 7288 65 red kites.jpg
    7288 65 red kites.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 3766 800px.jpg
    3766 800px.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 89
A long long time is my guess.
We will obviously get Red Kite more regularly but sights like that will in my opinion be confined to the feeding stations if Wales,Chilterns and other similar sights.
There is no doubt they are spreading east and South from the Chilterns and rockingham populations respectively but I doubt they will ever be as numerous in Essex.
My guess is a number of around 30-40 pairs may set up home in Essex by around 2025

I think that is a very good assessment of the prospects.

I believe they were expected to spread out more from the release areas but the amount of feeding by locals makes it attractive for them to stay as it's an easy source of food although whether all of it is ideal for their diet is debatable, my photos were taken at the cafe at Studeley just outside stokenchurch where they are fed daily on cafe leftovers, sadly I don't think toast is a natural food for a red kite! (see attached photo)

Attachments

• 3554 RK cropped.JPG
    3554 RK cropped.JPG
    855.4 KB · Views: 83
I play golf at Braxted Park quite regularly in the summer and rarely go without seeing at least one, plenty of buzzards as well. I wonder if the pheasant shooting in the autumn / winter attracts them looking for dead pheasants that haven't been picked up.
Looking back through this topic I can't believe how exciting it was to see one 8 or 10 years ago in Essex, they seem to be everywhere now. I've seen 3 this week without even trying to look for them. Two were over my house in Rayne and to think I used to travel to the Chilterns to watch them!
how times change!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back