• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Computer grinding to a halt (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
My computer over the last couple of months has slowly been grinding to a halt, but there is loads of activity in the hard disk especially at boot up and when running software.
I have had a look at the registry and found the following everything is doubled up and the current version points to the next file with the 1 after it. I have posted a capture. Is it safe to delete all the ones with the 1 after and take out the reference to it. I am sure this is why things have started to slow down as its reading two file to load 1.

Attachments

• 2007-09-27_164421.jpg
    2007-09-27_164421.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 86
I think I'd be tempted to run a registry checker, I downloaded a program for a very small fee called registry cleaner, it'll do a back up prior to removing surplus entries, it worked on my PC.
have a look at http://www.registrycleanerscompared.com/?gclid=CKX62pyy5I4CFTyKOAodAH8lQQ pick the best do a free scan and it'll tell you how bad things might be and then if you wish you can purchase the full program and clean up your PC

Steve

Thanks Steve. I will give it a go. I know its nothing serious just want to speed things back up again rather then do a format and reload.

when you run a cleaner it won't do anything unless you pay for the software did you just run it or did you run it and register it so it will clean the registry?

Steve

Steve, I just run it and it found all those files I haven't register yet, I wasn't sure whether it would be safe to delete so many files.

Might be worth running "Start / Run / msconfig". I did this a few months ago and found I had about 80 things running at startup! Switched most of them off (they now just run when i need them) and I'm left with only seven running. Speeded up the PC enormously. You don't really need things like "iTunesHelper", "BTSoftPhone", "BTHelpNotifier", "GoogleUpdater", "LimeWire", "QTTask" and many others to run at startup.

Thanks rezMole, I have just checked I only have 10 loaded but it still takes 5-10 min to load, I am sure its all those double entries in the reg file. I have thought of removing a couple of the ones I know such as zoombrowser and removing the link and see whether it still runs. I can always reload it again if it doesn't.

Last edited:
yep so the consensus is as long as you run a cleaner it'll help. A good cleaner will create a restore point and make a registry back up prior to making changes, if the one you choose doesn't it may be best to use one that does.
regards
Steve

Last edited:
ahh theres no such thing as a free lunch so back to sq one, get a cleaner I use registry cleaner and it works, buy it cos its worth it in the long run, I had over 600 errors on the 1st sweep, run it every month.
The one I use does a restore point and backup of the reg and I assume that theres not much to choose between the main players.
I got mine from http://www.registryoptimizer.com/ which scores 5 cows on the tucows website
Steve

Mickey mouse I run ccleaner every week and it has never found any of the double entries.

Steve, I will probably by registry cleaner as its only £15, that found over 900 entries. Don't know whether any are the double entries.

I have only just upgraded the memory from 1gb to a 2gb kit of memory and it is still very sluggish, it is still taking the same amount of time to load.

Last edited:
what security are you running? I have just discovered that the biggest drain on my system was Norton Internet Security 2007. Having removed it using the tool from norton my PC instantly improved in performance, now running Mcafee....
Did you say that when you look at msconfig under the startup tab there are only 10 items running? this seems very light for a machine controlled by bill gates.

Yes Steve only 10 items, I usually stop all items which ask to start at startup when I load the programs. I basically only run graphics programs very little else. I have just renewed my subscription for Pc-cillian but this problem has been slowly creeping up the last few months, so know its not my virus checker. I have tried the machine with it disabled to rule that out. I can see me having to do a reformat in the end.

Last edited:
I used the free version and I don't remember there being a limit on how many times you could run it, I'm sure I exceeded 50 times, that was an older version though. If you have spybot S&D it might be worth a look at the tool kit that is included and have you tried googling with your problem, bound to be some info out there somewhere that would help before you start spending more money.

Mick

Mick I think its how many lines it'll correct is limited to 50 (if I read the website properly)
Christine when the PC is running slow if you do a "Ctrl Alt Del" under the process tab if you sort by memory usage what are the top 5 programs? Aslo when the PC is slow under the performance tab what is the CPU doing and how much memory is left?
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back