• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cannot communicate with battery (1 Viewer)

davethebird

My 7D shows this message every time I put a battery in it. Although the camera can be used the battery is liable to drain completely even when the camera is switched off. My 2 Canon batteries were both reporting good recharge properties until this suddenly occurred.
I googled the problem and found that many other 7D owners have had the same thing - some cured it by sticking the camera in a freezer and others just had the problem clear spontaneously.
I phoned the Canon service centre to see how much it might cost to repair and the response included:
  • perhaps both your batteries failed at exactly the same time - not likely
  • this is an unknown fault - I suggested they google the fault and see how many disgruntled customers there are who have had the fault and how many reported having to send their cameras back to Canon.
I have replaced the time function battery, tried having both batteries out of the camera for several days but I still get the fault.
Does anyone have a cure or know how much Canon UK will charge to put this right?

I would persist with the problem a little longer before sending your body for repair if I were you. I had the same problem with a 7D about a year back. I think it had been caused by completely draining the batteries in the grip. I had accidently put the camera away still switched and somehow pressure had been applied to the shutter release. The motor in the 500mm lens had drained the life out of the batteries. The camera moaned at me for a couple of weeks and several battery recharges before it decided to recognise the batteries again. No problems since. Last week I ran a set of 5D Canon batteries very low. After recharging one in the car and putting it back in the grip the camera asked me if I wanted to carry on and use a non-Canon battery. At least with the 5D III it still gives you discharge data even though it doesn’t like the battery. Think that the root of the problem is Canon chipping their batteries in an effort to get you to pay over the odds for their own brand.

David

This has just happened to me. I wondered what outcome you had Dave - particularly if it solved itself after a while.
Thanks Paul

This has just happened to me. I wondered what outcome you had Dave - particularly if it solved itself after a while.
Thanks Paul

I had to have the camera repaired by ACS who are based in Watton Norfolk. It cost about £110 and like the several others they have fixed was caused by the main board being loose - the same as all the other cases on you can find on Google.

It seems Canon cannot fix the screws in securely but they claim that they have never heard of this problem. :eek!:

Still the camera is working well again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back