• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drowned lens worth saving? (1 Viewer)

Paul - Herts

Paul Herts
Don't know how it happened but my 70D and 400 f5.6 ended up underwater, I have insurance on the camera but not the lens. There is silt or fine sand inside the lens and into the manual focus mechanism plus, of course, water.

Has anybody similar experience and any idea of the cost involved for repair? Or am I better off taking it on the chin and maybe replace with a secondhand lens?

Bought from Flash camera a few months back so would have to go directly to Canon I assume.

Thanks Paul

Give fixationuk a call about the lens,they'll want you i expect to send it in for an estimate.

Cheers.

Steve.

That's a bummer Paul - best of luck and hope you can get it repaired reasonably cheap. BTW I would also recommend Fixation.

Thanks Steve and Roy, one of those things that happen

I have it wrapped up with rice and silica gel to try and absorb the moisture. Not sure that it is as severely soaked as I initially thought but definitely water got inside, so gotta try and dry it as quickly as I can to have any hope?

Cheers Paul

Well, the answer to my question was a resounding yes. Stripped down, cleaned, rebuilt and calibrated for just shy of £200 by a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend! I just happened to mention it to a mate who said "oh give this guy a ring, if he can't do it he'll know someone who can". Work guaranteed for 6 months and I swear it is AF'ing better than before!

Happy days :king:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back