• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compare Nikon HG 8x30 vs Zeiss VP 8x25 (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
There's been a lot of praise for the optics of the VP 8x25 (which I've actually tried and agree), but it would seem that the similarly priced HG 8x30 (which I haven't) should have better ergonomics for use without eyeglasses, and it has a wider FOV. Yet some have reported that it's a bit finicky with eye placement etc. How do the two compare in use, again without eyeglasses?

There's been a lot of praise for the optics of the VP 8x25 (which I've actually tried and agree), but it would seem that the similarly priced HG 8x30 (which I haven't) should have better ergonomics for use without eyeglasses, and it has a wider FOV. Yet some have reported that it's a bit finicky with eye placement etc. How do the two compare in use, again without eyeglasses?
I had them both and I would compare them often and I don't wear glasses. IMO with the smaller exit pupils they are both about equally finicky with eye placement. The Nikon HG 8x30's have bigger eye cups than the Zeiss 8x25 so chances are they will fit you eye sockets better. The problem I have with the Zeiss 8x25 is the eye cups are way too short for the eye relief and with my shallow eye sockets to avoid blackouts I have hold them a considerable distance from my eyes. The HG's are better in this regard. The HG's also have sharper edges than the Zeiss but the HG's biggest advantage over the Zeiss is the bigger FOV. The HG's would be a better all around binocular being a lot brighter in low light with the bigger aperture also but the Zeiss are quite a bit smaller in size and they are lighter so they would have an advantage if you were just looking for a compact binocular you could carry in your pocket. It kind of depends upon your needs and preferences which one to pick but at about the same price you are going to get a better view if you are ok with the heavier weight and bigger size of the HG. If I personally had to choose between the two I would pick the HG.

This question comes up quite a lot (or similar). My way of thinking is whether you want something compact (pocket sized) or not. For me the 30's aren't really what I'm after as I'm happy to make the compromise weight (and size) wise and step up to a 32.
However the VP is a true pocket size that gives exceptional viewing for such a small size and weight and handles great also. My VP's go with me when I wouldn't take anything larger and I enjoy how much more discreet they are and am always impressed by how well they handle and perform for such a small package.
While I can see the 30's being an excellent choice for some they just don't fit the bill for me in the scheme of things.
All said this probably doesn't really help answer your question. I did however own the M7 8x30 for a while and optics aside I can say that I won't go back to that format since owning the VP's. It's 25, 32, 42 for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back