• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are there any users of both Zeiss SFL 8x30 and VP 8x25 that can comment on how they compare? (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

Hello there,

I have an EL 8.5x42 and Zeiss VP 8x25. Due to the size of the ELs, I carry VP 8x25 almost all the time except for serious bird watching. I like the size and weight and image quality of the VPs but hate the eye placement. Today I play with the Nikon Monarch 7 (older model) 8x30 and I like it a lot as it has much easier eye placement and a more comfortable viewing experience. The size of the Monarchs, although bigger than the VPs, does not bother me that much compared to the gain I get.
This leads me to think of the SFL 8x30 as it may be the sweet spot for my need (still very portable and high image quality). I am wondering if there are any users that have both SFL 8x30 and VP 8x25 that can comment on how they compare (image quality, eye placement, etc). As I also have the EL 8.5x42, any comparison to the ELs is appreciated too. I am sensitive to the CA so I rather get the one that has less CA.
I plan to visit Japan soon and the price of the Monarch HG 8x30 is very attractive. Is it worth considering if I want to go an 8x30 route or if there are any other options? As it will be an EDC, the size and weight along with the image quality (also price!) are a concern so I am not ready to go for the 8x32 yet.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.

Passakorn

Last edited:
I don’t own the VP 8x25 but I do own the Swarovski 8.5x42 ELs
I also "invested" in Swarovski 8x32 ELs

I have also had the chance to look through the SFL 8x30 and was really impressed.
I didn’t buy as I already had the 8x32 ELs
It wasn’t a scientific look, it was just a matter of bumping into a friend who had a pair and doing some light birding.

I would have had a serious look at my local optics shop, if I didn’t already own the 8x32 ELs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back