• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Sunbathing" Birds (1 Viewer)

helenol said:
Nice one Reader!

Here's another great tit, not sure if it's the same one that was sunbathing on the feeder the other day!

Also, notice it is in almost the same spot as the one from last year, in post nr. 9.
That's that tacky tin one again Helen I am not fooled that easy, it fascinates me when birds do this when visiting the feeders & table they are so careful of cats etc yet when the sun comes out nothing else seems to matter.

Regards Snapper.

helenol said:
Nice one Reader!

Here's another great tit, not sure if it's the same one that was sunbathing on the feeder the other day!

Also, notice it is in almost the same spot as the one from last year, in post nr. 9.

Hey Helen. You are not pinning these birds to the ground, like a Butterfly collector pins them to the board, are you. lol

Another, slightly larger bird taking advantage of the warm weather of late...

Attachments

• pheasantsunbathing.jpg
    pheasantsunbathing.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 185
When you see them unbathing for the first time you may think that they are dead or injured when I saw a Blackbird sunbathing last year in my garden I panacked & was going to phone The RSPCA & it stood up & flew off lol how daft of me thinking it was injured.

helenol said:
Always find them so amusing to watch.

Hi Helen.

One of my favourite sights of the summer is watching the Sand Martins sunbathing. We ofter get groups of dozens resting on the dirt tracks through the marshes, many of them laying completely on their sides with one wing raised. I guess they are trying to get their armpits tanned.

Another nice sight is just before dusk in the summer. Red-necked Nightjars flop down on quiet backroads to soak up the heat from the tarmacked surfaces of the roads. They are usually rather loathe to move and you can often drive up to within a few metres of them before they grudgingly fly off. Sometimes it needs a toot on the car horn to get them to move.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

dust bathing Stellar's Jay

Love to see all these pictures of birds sunbathing! Can't resist sharing one of my own. These Stellar's Jays made themselves right at home in a patch of dust by the side of our home. I had no idea birds did this until I saw these two!

Attachments

• Stellars Jays 1b.jpg
    Stellars Jays 1b.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 153
John Butler said:
Hi Helen.

One of my favourite sights of the summer is watching the Sand Martins sunbathing.
Another nice sight is just before dusk in the summer. Red-necked Nightjars flop down on quiet backroads to soak up the heat from the tarmacked surfaces of the roads.
Blimey, some great sights there, John, kind of pi*ses on the great tits! ;)

goldy finch said:
Love to see all these pictures of birds sunbathing! Can't resist sharing one of my own. These Stellar's Jays made themselves right at home in a patch of dust by the side of our home. I had no idea birds did this until I saw these two!
Excellent stuff. They do look rather strange when seeing them "sunbathing" for the first time don't they.

The blackbirds and great tits are in sunbathing mode lately. If I look closely I can see quite a few great tits on the shrubs sunbathing, puts me in mind of Christmas tree decorations - all over the shrubs they are - and the fence, etc.

My pics are all that clear, but I have smiled at the antics of my sunbathers lately too.

Attachments

• Baby blackbird sunbathing.jpg
    Baby blackbird sunbathing.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Robin sunbathing.jpg
    Robin sunbathing.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 138
Saw the young robin today doing the same thing, he still hasn't got his red breast.

Yesterday there was the blackbird, and alongside him, a great tit!

The previous tenants of this cottage had a couple of Siamese Cats and their graves are in one corner of the veg patch....and are regularly used by our resident Song Thrushes to smash their snails on.
A few weeks ago, on a VERY hot day, I watched an adult Robin sunbathing on the grave stone cover and, later on, the self same Robin was stretched out on our garden table...just a shame I didn't have a camera handy!
Often seen the Thrushes and Blackbirds stretched out too......and we have a female Pheasant nesting in the front garden who regularly stretches herself out, wings and tail fanned out fully.

Gill

Gill Osborne said:
The previous tenants of this cottage had a couple of Siamese Cats and their graves are in one corner of the veg patch....and are regularly used by our resident Song Thrushes to smash their snails on.
A few weeks ago, on a VERY hot day, I watched an adult Robin sunbathing on the grave stone cover and, later on, the self same Robin was stretched out on our garden table...just a shame I didn't have a camera handy!
Often seen the Thrushes and Blackbirds stretched out too......and we have a female Pheasant nesting in the front garden who regularly stretches herself out, wings and tail fanned out fully.

Gill

Smart birds - perhaps they know what lies beneath. Probably will be dancing on them next. ;)

There's a Woodpigeon sunbathing in my garden right now I actually thaught it was dead it was on his side

Last edited:
Euan Buchan said:
There's a Woodpigeon sunbathing in my garden right now I actually thaught it was dead it was on his side

Here's a picture of that pigeon I know it's not that clear but you can defantly tell he's sunbathing

Attachments

• pigeon.jpg
    pigeon.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 151
Not sunbathing as such, but drying out. Never seen this before with the kites, a first for me. There had been heavy rainfall prior to these pics being taken.

Attachments

• Smallpicturedryingout2.jpg
    Smallpicturedryingout2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 109
  • smallpicurekitedrying.jpg
    smallpicurekitedrying.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back