• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Value 10x42? (1 Viewer)

czfan01

Help choosing the right binocular?

Hello! After doing some research online, it seems like this is one of the most active bino forums so i decided to post here. I've posted on reddit as well, but think that there be more knowledgeable opinions on here. I am trying to decide on the best pair of binoculars that would fit my amount of use, price point, and desired quality. I am looking to use them for hunting and not birding, namely deer hunting in Florida.I would like to do 10x42s, and want to get the best value binoculars possible, especially when it comes to glass quality. I have never been a real stickler for great glass, as long as the sight picture is clear. I am really aiming to get the best quality binocular and sight picture for the money. Durability isn't a huge point for me, as long as they can handle being in a backpack, some light rain once in a blue moon, and maybe the accidental drop. I am in Florida so extreme cold weather isn't an issue.

My budget is around $250, but it's a little different for me because I can get certain brands at 50% Off MSRP through work. Those brands are Steiner, Vortex, Zeiss, and Bushnell. I can go over that budget if i am getting a good step up in quality. The main thing I want is value for the money. In the research I have done, I have narrowed it down to a few pairs:

Vortex Diamondback 10x42: $140
Steiner Predator 10x42: $230
Zeiss Terra ED 10x42: $250
Vortex Viper HD 10x42: 325
Nikon Monarch 5 10x42: $235
Bushnell Legend M 10x42: $175
Maven C.1 10x42: $325

What would you guys suggest? Are there any others? I greatly appreciate any input and help! Thank you!

Last edited:
Last edited:
of the binoculars you have listed....Id go with the Zeiss...solid build, very good glass, great warranty...from a long lasted brand....

That review is correct. The Vipers are an amazing pair of binocs for the $.

Don't overlook Maven's C1's however. Better image IMO than the Vipers although a little narrower FOV.

I haven't seen the Bushnell Legend M, but some pretty well respected reviewers have and they really like it. I'm just not willing to carry bins that large.

CZFan,

Do your really need 10 power for Florida? 8 power seems to be the sweet spot when you factor in shake and field of view. Maybe 10X is good when you have vast expanses. But, I can pick up more details with an 8 power and also find them more comfortable / enjoyable to use.

In your price range, go with something that will have a great warranty and cover any damage you may cause from use.

Here's a little more info on what I'm talking about.

https://www.tractoptics.com/blog/why-the-best-binoculars-for-hunting-deer-are-8x

Good luck,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder that Bird Forum does not allow discussion of hunting, although this has occasionally been tolerated on the Ruffled Feathers sub-forum. Discussion of binos is fine and what we are here for.

And although I live in the UK with only an impression of what Florida is like, I am thinking that David's suggestion to look at an 8x deserves consideration.

Lee

I have used 10 power before and liked the magnification, but I may end up choosing eight power depending on where I’m using them. My previous use for binoculars was in large open pastors but I believe I am going to be moving to a more wooded area. Either way, most of the models I listed come in eight power as well.

Just a reminder that Bird Forum does not allow discussion of hunting, although this has occasionally been tolerated on the Ruffled Feathers sub-forum. Discussion of binos is fine and what we are here for.

And although I live in the UK with only an impression of what Florida is like, I am thinking that David's suggestion to look at an 8x deserves consideration.

Lee
I am very sorry, I didn’t realize that we could not discuss hunting. Although, like you said this is really about binoculars. Just looking for the best binocular optic value rather than anything specific to hunting. Sorry again but thank you for allowing this thread to remain

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used 10 power before and liked the magnification, but I may end up choosing eight power depending on where I’m using them. My previous use for binoculars was in large open pastors but I believe I am going to be moving to a more wooded area. Either way, most of the models I listed come in eight power as well.

I am very sorry, I didn’t realize that we could not discuss hunting. Although, like you said this is really about binoculars. Just looking for the best binocular optic value rather than anything specific to hunting. Sorry again but thank you for allowing this thread to remain

Thank you for your reply. Discussing binoculars is fine and many members of Bird Forum are hunters and bring a lot of knowledge of optics and experience of using them. They and you are very welcome but Bird Forum does not host discussions about hunting so it is best to minimise references to this.

Lee

My budget is around $250
In the research I have done, I have narrowed it down to a few pairs:

Vortex Diamondback 10x42: $140
Steiner Predator 10x42: $230
Zeiss Terra ED 10x42: $250
Vortex Viper HD 10x42: 325
Nikon Monarch 5 10x42: $235
Bushnell Legend M 10x42: $175
Maven C.1 10x42: $325

I would immediately toss the Diamondback and the Steiner, as both are not that great to begin with, and certainly don't stand up to the others in your list. I would not get the Nikon Monarch 5 because it's narrow FOV makes it seem rather "tunnel-like", which is of course not important to everyone. And at the moment, I will not recommend a Maven until they have established some sort of track record. The owner's previous track record was pretty dismal. The binos themselves however are very good, so if they are still around in seven or eight years, I might well consider their purchase.

This leaves the Terra, Viper, and Legend M. Based on what I have read and experienced personally, the M seems to have some QC issues, especially with the focus wheel. Optically however it does perform surprisingly well, so I could see getting one if you can find one at around $155, which is what they were selling for new on ebay a few weeks ago. Just be sure that if you decide to get one, that you purchase from a place that will accept it's return if it's focus wheel turns out to be wonky.

I have owned a Terra, but did not keep it because I was a bit disappointed in it's performance, and it's smell. It's odor will permeate and entire room if left sitting out in the open for the night. I would imagine that the odor will lessen over time, but I didn't keep it around long enough to find out. Others here can tell you for sure. The Terra did seem to have a subjective feel of a very good construction. I know there are a number here that like them. I am not one of them.

That leaves the Viper, a highly-rated bino from a company with a very highly-rated level of customer service. I would not recommend one at their original price, but I can sure get on board with one at the price available to you. Let us know what you end up with!

I have owned a Terra, but did not keep it because I was a bit disappointed in it's performance, and it's smell. It's odor will permeate and entire room if left sitting out in the open for the night.

Phil
We have two 2.5 years old Terra 32mms which have been totally without odour but in any case the Terras had a facelift last year and have new armour so they are worth checking out.

Lee

Phil
We have two 2.5 years old Terra 32mms which have been totally without odour but in any case the Terras had a facelift last year and have new armour so they are worth checking out.

Lee

Hi Lee,

We did have a 32mm Terra, and evidently they must have an armour of a different formula, because as you say they did not have the same odor as the 42mm version.

Lee, thanks for the reminder. But, a bigger thanks for doing it in a gentle and mature manner.

I would immediately toss the Diamondback and the Steiner, as both are not that great to begin with, and certainly don't stand up to the others in your list. I would not get the Nikon Monarch 5 because it's narrow FOV makes it seem rather "tunnel-like", which is of course not important to everyone. And at the moment, I will not recommend a Maven until they have established some sort of track record. The owner's previous track record was pretty dismal. The binos themselves however are very good, so if they are still around in seven or eight years, I might well consider their purchase.

This leaves the Terra, Viper, and Legend M. Based on what I have read and experienced personally, the M seems to have some QC issues, especially with the focus wheel. Optically however it does perform surprisingly well, so I could see getting one if you can find one at around $155, which is what they were selling for new on ebay a few weeks ago. Just be sure that if you decide to get one, that you purchase from a place that will accept it's return if it's focus wheel turns out to be wonky.

I have owned a Terra, but did not keep it because I was a bit disappointed in it's performance, and it's smell. It's odor will permeate and entire room if left sitting out in the open for the night. I would imagine that the odor will lessen over time, but I didn't keep it around long enough to find out. Others here can tell you for sure. The Terra did seem to have a subjective feel of a very good construction. I know there are a number here that like them. I am not one of them.

That leaves the Viper, a highly-rated bino from a company with a very highly-rated level of customer service. I would not recommend one at their original price, but I can sure get on board with one at the price available to you. Let us know what you end up with!

The legend m's i see at that price are on ebay, but they are the 8x. If i decide to go with that magnification, then I would order it off of ebay for $155. However, the price at $175 for the 10x is non refundable. If i did receive them with an issue, would the warranty from Bushnell cover the possible issues? or is it something that i would need to return them for a different pair. I took at look at a pair yesterday, and thought they looked fantastic.

Sounds like i should go with the Bushnell's if i want to save some money, or the Viper HDs if i want better quality glass.

Phil

Lee

I took a look at the Terra Eds and the Conquests, and because of lighting in the store I could honestly not see a difference. I am sure that outside and in low-light there would be a huge difference. It's just really hard to tell in the store, at least for me.

Last edited:
Yep, indoors is the worst place to test a binocular, especially one that will be used almost exclusively outdoors. Glare, colour balance, CA and eye relief will all be hard to test indoors. I've had a few bins that look fine inside but fall to pieces when subjected to real world lighting and conditions.

I took a look at the Terra Eds and the Conquests, and because of lighting in the store I could honestly not see a difference. I am sure that outside and in low-light there would be a huge difference. It's just really hard to tell in the store, at least for me.

The conquests are tougher and maybe a wee bit sharper....but not nearly as much as you would think.....

Last edited:
Regarding the 10X42, has anyone purchased the Bushness Legend M 10X42 and can describe the optics, I have the 8X42 and for the price it's great. Thought of picking up a low priced 10X42, so just curious.

A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back