• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars from leica (1 Viewer)

It was posted August 4th,
but it seems that the Facebook link does not work any more,
and the photo is changed to the one with the owl in front of the bin,
perhaps it was a bit too revealing, too early.

Seems Leica is having trouble co-ordinating the gradual reveals of Noctivid. Its a shame for all the folks that worked to put it all together but its fun for us.

Lee

Seems Leica is having trouble co-ordinating the gradual reveals of Noctivid. Its a shame for all the folks that worked to put it all together but its fun for us.

Lee

The Opticron Traveller ED was also prematurely leaked on youtube. They yanked the video after a day or so.

Hooray for leaks !

Noctivid...the name is making me sleepy. Maybe the Noctivid is meant for use only in dreams.

The Opticron Traveller ED was also prematurely leaked on youtube. They yanked the video after a day or so.

Hooray for leaks !

Noctivid...the name is making me sleepy. Maybe the Noctivid is meant for use only in dreams.

Dreams and dream-like states have been claimed to transport people to alternative realities where The Red Sox wear blue, England always wins the football World Cup, Australia lies close to the Arctic (and has a decent cricket team) and binoculars are famous for their views tinted red, blue and green, and where people actually argue across continents about them.

It would never happen in real life :-O

Lee

Leica is very bold to give it the name Octovid. I suppose we will see.

Zeiss has been the low light leader with AK prisms, and coatings to match.

I think we have about reached the pinnacle, of transmission. I do like companies trying
to improve things, their current design is over 20 years old.

Jerry

I love the name. It is typical Leica and typical for the German binoculars like Carl Zeiss Jena and Docter.

Yes I agree. It's a cool name.

Presumably they have the AquaDura coating.

The fact that MADE IN is highlighted in white would suggest to me that these will be marked MADE IN GERMANY, else-wise it would be in a more discrete location, marked in black MADE BY LEICA PORTUGAL.

I find myself, like many no doubt, of being very much tempted by these binoculars, but let's be honest, I don't need them! My Ultravid 8x32BR are excellent.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. It's a cool name.

Presumably they have the AquaDura coating.

The fact that MADE IN is highlighted in white would suggest to me that these will be marked MADE IN GERMANY, else-wise it would be in a more discrete location, marked in black MADE BY LEICA PORTUGAL.

I find myself, like many no doubt, of being very much tempted by these binoculars, but let's be honest, I don't need them! My Ultravid 8x32BR are excellent.

Same here ... I don't need them and also I don't even feel tempted.
I already have a great Leica bino. But, it's fun to talk about and speculate and
I'm looking forward to the first reviews from folks here on the forum.
I just need a new mid-sized bin (30/32mm) at some point.

Same here ... I don't need them and also I don't even feel tempted.
I already have a great Leica bino. But, it's fun to talk about and speculate and
I'm looking forward to the first reviews from folks here on the forum.
I just need a new mid-sized bin (30/32mm) at some point.

An 8x32 Noctivid would be very sweet. It will probably follow the initial release of the 42mm models. Even sweeter but unlikely would be a Leica Noctivid 7x32. I would hope that there would be a 7x42 in order to live up to the nocturnal name.

I have decided to hold off on the SFs that I *thought* I wanted for so long...

Maybe for these? ;)

Then again a large pair of Uvid + (x50s) would compliment my 8x42s nicely...

And what was that about Swarovski polling folks about thoughts on a zoom or switch-power bin a few months ago???

Hmmm.... DECISIONS! o:D

I first thought Noctivid would likely be a big binocular aimed at hunters, but now it seems it's an 42 sized bin. That has to be a new top line either above the Ultravid HD+ or more likely replacing it (the minimalistic +update could have been just a move to keep up with the others and buy some time for a real overhaul).

The fact that the bin will be presented at the birdfair, and not at a hunting fair or at the photokina later this year, should also mean that this thing is aimed at birders primarely. High transmission, wide angle and compact (at least more so than the SF)?

I may be in the minority here but I would have liked to see an oversized focus knob like on the HT or SF. The view was awesome in the HTs (haven't looked through SFs yet) but that was a knock-out win for me in the handling...

I first thought Noctivid would likely be a big binocular aimed at hunters, but now it seems it's an 42 sized bin. That has to be a new top line either above the Ultravid HD+ or more likely replacing it (the minimalistic +update could have been just a move to keep up with the others and buy some time for a real overhaul).

The fact that the bin will be presented at the birdfair, and not at a hunting fair or at the photokina later this year, should also mean that this thing is aimed at birders primarely. High transmission, wide angle and compact (at least more so than the SF)?
I'm thinking it will be an alpha open frame flat wide field ...... that way it gives a two pronged choice that matches the (closed) frame/traditional pincushion AND open frame/flat field offerings by Zeiss and Swaro.

Chosun :gh:

I may be in the minority here but I would have liked to see an oversized focus knob like on the HT or SF. The view was awesome in the HTs (haven't looked through SFs yet) but that was a knock-out win for me in the handling...
+ 1 :t:

If it was knurled alloy then all the better too :t:

I don't expect there will be 32mm versions to follow as finger real estate starts to get too thin on the ground by then and it just wouldn't make much sense ...... :brains:

Now 56mm versions to follow - oh yeah :t:

I'm still hoping that Leica does something really progressive to surprise us, like 95%+ transmission o/all via Perger prisms, and CFRP lightweight chassis :cat: ..... anything less will be most uninspiring in this day and age ......

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back