• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heavy Overhead passage today. (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Just back from a trip to Red Rocks where I have seen more migrating passerines in an hour than I'd guess for the rest of the year.

Got to do some work for the rest of today, but here are a couple of shots. The first flock is a tiny part of a Starling flock that reached from north of the point, out of sight over West Kirby.

I've no idea how many... I've guessed 18k.... but on reflection, had this flock be waders, then there would have been 30-40k in the one flock. I should have a better idea of numbers after I've estimated the photo.

Attachments

• DSCF7543.JPG
    DSCF7543.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCF7547.JPG
    DSCF7547.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 152
C'mon Jane, stop teasing and attach the photos,ta. Still regular movement down here of starlings, thrushes and blackbirds - no joy (yet) on squeezing out a rouzel in the parish.

Sh!t,.... could be out by an order of magnitude.... a flock 20-30 birds thick for 2km! And there were two flocks of this size, the restwere just in the 100-1000 range!

I'm about to count the photo....but using a photo taken at the same distance from the same place at the same magnification, I can estimate that this is about 10% of the flock by angle.

I might also be able to work out the size of the flock by its average width and density of the flock, ie the space between them based on the wing span of a Starling!

I could see the flock went as far as half way down the Marine Lake (which is actually 5km)

Attachments

• Starling count.jpg
    Starling count.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 94
750 is looking like quite a good guess for the numbers in the photo... c250 a square section though the flock. Just need to work out how many times wider the flock was now.... though I got my scale wrong before - its 2.5km since I measured a 500m scale

Attachments

• Starling count.jpg
    Starling count.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
The only internal measure that I have in my photos are the starlings themselves.

I guestimate that you could fit 80x wing span (40cm) wide starlings wide would make my big squares about 3.2m (250 birds) The flock was more straggly further south, so lets pessimistically drop the average number of birds per square to half of the end I photographed, ie 125 birds per square

1 could fit 180 squares into 2.5km

Which would be 22,500 birds for the biggest of the three immense flocks. (There was another after I left that stretched most the way to WK)

That would be about 2/3 of the density of a Dunlin flock...which feels about right

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back