• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adding catch-lights (2 Viewers)

briwig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening all,although I try not to do to much editing in photoshop(a little curves,u.s.m. and the like ) I have been trying to add catch lights to the eyes of some fox pictures,it would be better if they were looking into the sun in the early morning but they have their back to it.Can any member tell me a simple way to do it that does'nt involve layers and anything else complicated ,(try as I might I just cannot get my head around making a new layer,duplicating a layer,and anything else involving dam layers !!!!) waiting in anticipation Brian P.S. I use C.S.2 Thanks

Select a small brush size and then use the dodge tool repeatedly to burn out a suitable white dot - easy....

Good luck... Ray

Thanks for the info Ray,chose a small brush size,used the dodge tool repeatedly to burn out a small dot.........nothing happened. Whats wrong?????

Thanks for the info Ray,chose a small brush size,used the dodge tool repeatedly to burn out a small dot.........nothing happened. Whats wrong?????

Ermmm, dunno..... works for me....You could always try a larger brush size just so that you can see for sure whether it is having any effect....

Briwig,

This is what I do in Photoshop:-

1) Select the Clone Stamp Tool
2) Choose "Selected brush presets" which present themselves after (1)
3) I generally select a "Soft Round" brush
4) Magnify the eye you are going to add a catch-light to and then choose the
appropriate size of brush.
5) Alt & Click on an appropriate "light" area in the image suitable for your catch-light and
then Click on that part of the eye where you wish the selected highlight to be.

Hope this helps and do experiment with e.g. "Hard Round Brushes" and different tones of brightness. Don't forget to look critically at the end result when you have the whole image on screen - it should look "right", if not, use the Undo tool to go back to your start point.

Good luck.

Adrian

While on the subject of eyes, is there anything else that can be done to make the eyes "come alive",and don't forget "keep it simple". Many thanks Brian.

If you zoom right in on the eye you will sometimes find that there is a hint of a catchlight there already. By using the Dodge tool with a soft brush set to Midtones and a low Exposure value you can sometimes bring out what is there already.

Ron

Many thanks Ray,Adrian and Ron,have been messing about with what you all said and I think I might be getting somewhere. Cheers Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back