• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray bird near El Tundo, SW Ecuador (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello All,
this was a bird chirping away in the top of the tree late afternoon, and a disturbed area - I am guessing around 1500 m asl. I took photos as the camera chose and a little more lighted, to different exposures included. There is also a video if anyone think the sound will do any good - Just be careful not to get seasick, I concentrated on the sound and not on keeping the camera absolutely still while taking it. Video link: https://youtu.be/T2kwp7kX7AY

Any ideas welcome
Niels

Attachments

• Flycatcher q3 P1110770.jpg
    Flycatcher q3 P1110770.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Flycatcher q3b P1110782.JPG
    Flycatcher q3b P1110782.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 23
Given that the above seems rather difficult, I thought I might add a second impossible bird to the same thread, given it was in the same location. This is a raptor that flew over in disappearing light. The photos came out essentially black on a gray background. This is a lightened image; it may indicate darker flight feathers compared to coverts in the wing, but I am not sure that is reliable.

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Raptor q2L P1110764.JPG
    Raptor q2L P1110764.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 27
Hello All,
this was a bird chirping away in the top of the tree late afternoon, and a disturbed area - I am guessing around 1500 m asl. I took photos as the camera chose and a little more lighted, to different exposures included. There is also a video if anyone think the sound will do any good - Just be careful not to get seasick, I concentrated on the sound and not on keeping the camera absolutely still while taking it. Video link: https://youtu.be/T2kwp7kX7AY

Any ideas welcome
Niels
Suggest smoke-coloured pewee. Habitat, location, behaviour suggest this over blackish which is otherwise difficult to tell apart.

Given that the above seems rather difficult, I thought I might add a second impossible bird to the same thread, given it was in the same location. This is a raptor that flew over in disappearing light. The photos came out essentially black on a gray background. This is a lightened image; it may indicate darker flight feathers compared to coverts in the wing, but I am not sure that is reliable.

thanks
Niels

Someone's going to correct me, but I wonder about broad-winged hawk. I think the overall shape is roughly right (are the wings too long?) and rules out the hoped-for grey-backed hawk.

Someone's going to correct me, but I wonder about broad-winged hawk. I think the overall shape is roughly right (are the wings too long?) and rules out the hoped-for grey-backed hawk.

I was thinking perhaps pale phase Short-tailed Hawk. There's a suggestion of the head pattern for that species and also the white, relatively unmarked underparts. Shape also seems reasonable.

Regarding the gray bird, Smoke-colored Pewee certainly seems right, the recording on XC seems to clinch it.

Regarding the raptor, I am not surprised by the focus on Buteo, that was the direction I was going in as well.

(I did see Gray-backed Hawk elsewhere on the trip so no worries there)

Niels

I was thinking perhaps pale phase Short-tailed Hawk. There's a suggestion of the head pattern for that species and also the white, relatively unmarked underparts. Shape also seems reasonable.

i only rejected that because I thought the head pattern was not marked enough [in comparison with web photos where pretty much the whole of the head is dark]. I wasn't convinced that we could really tell what the underparts are like. But otherwise I agree: another reasonable candidate.

i only rejected that because I thought the head pattern was not marked enough [in comparison with web photos where pretty much the whole of the head is dark]. I wasn't convinced that we could really tell what the underparts are like. But otherwise I agree: another reasonable candidate.

And I truly don't know if the hints of pattern that we see are real or computer-generated artifacts. I am happy to have no real id for this one.

An ebird bar chart shows three Buteo sp in the area during June: Short-tailed, White-throated, and Gray-lined - no observations of Broad-winged between mid May and end October.

Niels

On your hawk my gut reaction to jizz/structure is Short-tailed. I wouldn’t actually ID it though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back