• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and help! (1 Viewer)

mikejhart32

Hello everybody. my name is Mike and I have been watching birds for 50 years, but more actively in the last ten. I have several cameras and lenses and various binoculars and a scope.
I recently bought a pair of Carl Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50 binoculars which have a bit of dust in the eyepiece lenses. does ANYONE know how to get into The eyepiece/focus area? I cant see a way in.
Many Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Mike and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum. I am going to move your Post to the Binocuar section of the forum and I have subscribed you to the thread so you don't lose track of it ;)

This was posted a while back which should help:

Carl Zeiss Dekarem 10x50 Cleaning
Hi. On virtually all Zeiss Jena binoculars, including your Dekarems, the oculars lift off after you have removed the central locking disk, which lies beneath the IPD plate. The locking disc on all models up to about 1985 is silver in colour and has two holes in it for a pin spanner/wrench. But look carefully and you will see a 1mm grub screw which has to come out before the disk will turn. You will need a 1mm slothead screwdriver to remove it. If it won't come out or you chew the head off, just drill it out with a 1mm or 1.5mm drill. Then unscrew the circular plate, using either a pin wrench or, if you don't have one, circlip pliers, which will usually be OK. With the disk off, the oculars simply lift of the shaft (but they may be a bit stiff so take it easy.) Also make sure that you don't lose the thin blue steel washers also on the shaft between each arm - they help maintain the tension on the arms and keep everything straight. Then clean the oculars, making sure you wipe off all the heavy grease around the lenses or it may smear onto them. Then re-assemble. Line up the tiny 1mm hole with its corresponding hole if you can. Or do like they did in the factory and just get the disk suitably tight and drill a fresh hole for the 1mm grub screw. Or if all else fails, use a little threadlock on the disk thread. Hope that is OK for you.
Just to clarify, all this is done at the eyepiece/ocular end of the central shaft.
Regards,
Clive

Good luck

Lee

Carl Zeiss 10x50 JENOPTEM

Many thanks for your prompt reply Troubador, unfortunately these are Jenoptems not Dekarems so no grub screw or pin holes, nothing. I have tried popping the end caps but no joy there either.

Many thanks for your prompt reply Troubador, unfortunately these are Jenoptems not Dekarems so no grub screw or pin holes, nothing. I have tried popping the end caps but no joy there either.

Sorry it didn't help Mike. I was seduced by the "virtually all Zeiss Jena bins"......

Lee

My 7x50 and 10x50 Jenoptems both built in 1980 disassemble as noted in earlier post. When you remove the IPD plate what do you find? Also, what is the serial number of your binocular? There are not any apparent build differences between Jenoptems and Dekarems (10x50) and Binoctems (7x50) that I know of. The only differences between them may have been quality control and the type carrying case supplied.

To LPT and Troubador, I Finally got the end cap off, unbelieveably it was screwed in and had to use pliers! Chewed the cap a bit, both oculars lift off separately with a washer in between. Cleaned oculars (Careful a lot of grease around) then re-assembled finger tight. Disaster at first as collimation was out so got the pliers out and tightened the cap up and everything OK now.

Hi,

a Jenoptem 10x50 is a Dekarem. Jenoptem was used as a trademark for a cheaper series of bins than the classic models but they were actually the same models - if there was differences in finish we don't know...

So repair instructions for a Dekarem should work just fine for a Jenoptem 10x50.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back