• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gimbal vs video head...? (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
When I got my first long lens I bought a Manfrotto 501 video head to use with it and was very happy with the set up. The head is rock solid, has very smooth movement (with variable tensions for both pan and tilt) and was also nice to use with a scope. Then I got offered a gimbal (the Jobu Black Widow) at a nice price so went for it, again I was impressed with it. Again nice smooth (lighter than the 501) movement and very stable... but I don't like the lack of a safety catch for the plate (I'm used to having this on my Manfrottos) and also I don't get on well using a scope on it (it side mounts and I have an angles scope).

So now I want to get a second head so I can keep one on the tripod and one on a window mount for the winter season at feeding stations. Now I can't decide whether to splash out on a second gimbal or take the cheaper route and go back to the 501s... Anyone got any suggestions of pros/cons of teh two heads that I may not have thought of?

I've had the 501 and 503 video head, as well as wimberley gimbal heads. I felt my stuff was quite secure on both setups, quite happy to walk around with the camera / lens over my shoulder. I used to use the 503 as a travel head, as the original wimberley was a bit heavier / bulkier, but now I have the Wimberley II, there wasn't a lot in it, so I let the 503 go. I would definitely recommend the 503 for use even with the biggest lenses...very sturdy support at a sensible price. The only disadvantages are that the set up is not so free-moving as the wimberley, and there are more knobs and dials to fiddle about with.

The indian gimbals on ebay are worth thinking about...I tried one recently and it was OK...though I ended up with the Wimberley as I didn't feel too confident sticking a 600 on it and wandering around with it over my shoulder.

The indian gimbals on ebay are worth thinking about...I tried one recently and it was OK...though I ended up with the Wimberley as I didn't feel too confident sticking a 600 on it and wandering around with it over my shoulder.

I have looked at these cheap gimbals, but having read a couple of horror stories about them I wouldn't risk it. If I do go for another gimbal I'd probably buy a second Jobu Black Widow as I am happy using it, but even after using a gimbal for two years I can't quite decide if I prefer it to a video head. Gimbals have a distinct advantage for flight shots... perhaps I should get a top loading gimbal so I can use the scope on it too.

Well I decided to spend some time using the 501 to see how I got on... While it holds the lens fine and is rock solid it is very tricky to get it balanced right, in fact if left at any sort of angle it just creeps. So I answered my own question, sure the 501 is fine as a cheap option with a long lens but a gimbal makes it a lot easier. I went to buy a second Jobu Black Widow only to find that they now have a UK supplier, makes it much easier and means I'll get it much sooner :t: Anyone wanting a good value gimbal would do well to look at them, I use the BW-LW with my 500 f4 at £236 it's excellent value - http://www.tripods-heads-gimbals.com/products/gimbals/gimbals2/

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back