• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto XPRO Fluid Video Head (2 Viewers)

Steve Babbs

Reading through the threads here the Manfrotto 500 head is clearly very popular but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this one, which is slightly lighter and cheaper, compared to the 500? It would be used with a 65mm and 82mm scope.

Thanks

Steve

I somehow doubt that "technopolymer" can achieve similar stiffness to aluminium.
The now discontinued Gitzo 2180 used something similar and came off rather badly in some tests Jan Meijerink performed many years ago.

John

I think that I may have to bite the bullet and splash out on the Gitzo 2.
The Manfrotto XPRO is not bad and offers good fluid control and smooth operation but from my memory does not provide a counterbalance. One thing I have found with using scopes is that a counterbalance is quite nice to have because it allows for you to keep the drag/resistance settings lower thus providing smoother panning and tilting actions. Of course you can use a head with no counterbalance but then you have to tighten the up/down resistance more making it not as smooth in operational use.

Both designs are quite useable but one feels more refined.

The Manfrotto XPRO is not bad and offers good fluid control and smooth operation but from my memory does not provide a counterbalance. One thing I have found with using scopes is that a counterbalance is quite nice to have because it allows for you to keep the drag/resistance settings lower thus providing smoother panning and tilting actions. Of course you can use a head with no counterbalance but then you have to tighten the up/down resistance more making it not as smooth in operational use.

Both designs are quite useable but one feels more refined.
I've been using scopes for well over 40 years so I guess I am overdue to upgrade to a head with counter balance. I think I've had my present 128RC head for about 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back