• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small swallow/martin type bird in Panama (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

I was looking back on some bird photos taken in Panama years ago, and one that I never got around to processing or looking at was a shot taken from on a boat while in the Panama Canal, towards the Gatun locks side. I didn't think of them at the time because they were just small brown birds sitting around the boat - but I realize I can't quite figure out what they are...so hoping to get some help. Closest guess I could make was brown-chested martin. Any firm IDs?

Attachments

• birds.JPG
    birds.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 54
Interesting - I suppose they could be juvenile - though there were probably 10 of them hanging out on the boat, and all seemed to have this same coloration.

The part that's throwing me is that brown slash going down the chest, which didn't really match for brown-chested...rough-winged I suppose could also be possible, though again that brown vertical bit seemed to be common on many of them. What about bank swallows? Some photos show them with this type of brown vertical bit just below their bands - but I'm not familiar with their range and if they'd be occurring in the Panama Canal zone.
I still felt initially that the mouth/bill area had a Martin look.

Last edited:
In further researching, I found a central and south American martin variety called the 'grey-breasted martin'...at least in some photos, they appear close...including in some photos showing that vertical line or indent on the chest.
What say you - could this be the species?

I tried a bunch of image searches for the grey-breasted, and many had that same vertical coloration and indent in the chest feathers...so I think that's going to be the firmest ID I can get. I appreciate all the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back