• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capetown in late August (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I'll be going to Capetown for a couple of days in late August.
Do you know of any must-do regarding birding there ?
I've already booked a pelagic trip off Simon's town.
Any help is welcome :)
Thanks
Thibaut

Cape Town - August

There are a mix of places and species that are in the immediate area of Cape Town and some that are local endemics or easier to see in Cape Town than elsewhere. With only two days it means that you need to focus of what is your priority.

Three possibilites -
Overberg area for cranes, Koorhans and larks
Tanqua Karoo - for dry area specials
Cape Town localities - Penguins, Cape Siskin, Victorin Warbler, Cape Rockjumper etc.

Have a look at Callam Cohens Birding Africa pages

http://www.birdingafrica.com/cape_tours/about_cape_tours.htm

Thank you for this answer !
my bad, i'll be there for 6 days actually.
Do you have a map for the Cape Town localities ?

I've also read about the following places to go to, what do you think about them:
- De Hoop
- Bontebok
- Kogelberg

Thank you for this answer !
my bad, i'll be there for 6 days actually.
Do you have a map for the Cape Town localities ?

I've also read about the following places to go to, what do you think about them:
- De Hoop
- Bontebok
- Kogelberg

Buy this book, comes with an excellent, pull out map which shows all sites very clearly and is superb for planning routes. I personally rate this as being just about the best guide that there is for anywhere.

http://www.birdingafrica.com/resources/sa_birdfinder.htm

De Hoop is good for Cape Vulture and you may get Blue Crane in the area too.

A

Last edited:

Totally agree with Andy - this should be your bible for planning and going. The Southern Africa Bindfinder is now over 10 years old but still relevant.

When I did a similar trip and at the same time of year - Birding Africa suggested the following loop out of Cape Town.

Trip up the West Coast via Dolphin Bay, Silwersandstrom, Darling and Langebaan/West Coast National Park.

Middleberg pass to Tanqua Karoo via Katbakkies, Eierkop.

Forest birding at Grootvaderbosch near Heidleberg and then to De Hoop/Overberg.

Back to Cape Town via Sir Lowry's Pass

In that way you cover three Biomes - coastal, Cape and Karoo. Also in addition to the great birding the flowers along the west coast are spectacular.

I liked De Hoop and this is a good place for Knysa Woodpecker & Southern Tchagra in addition to the vultures. Dont expect Damara Tern here in August.

I didn't go to the other places you mentioned - not sure about them and they dont rate as highly in the "book".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back