• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Convince Me (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
I am currently using a pair of Swift Audobon 8.5x 44 which are great --BUT-- I would like a pair of Leica or Swarovski ,is the difference worth spending another £600?

When I first started birding I used a pair of Swift 8.5x44 Audobons and they were excellent optically - I have since upgraded to a pair of expensive roofs - but it was partly prompted by my Audobons needing cleaning after getting them wet - i`m not sure the difference is worth £600 but you do get to a point where the peace of mind of waterproofing + a little increase in performance seems worth the extra money!!

Optically i noticed mored difference when I upgraded my scope - so if you`ve money to invest it might be worth looking at that first.

However an expensive pair of bins is a pleasure to own and handle - if you`re using them regularly it might be worth it on that basis alone.

Out of interest why would you like a pair of Leica or Swarovski? Are you after the best optics or want something flash (not a criticism btw!!) if the later then any of the top names will do, if the former you'll have to go along and try them and make the highly subjective decision on what is worth what.

The thing to bear in mind that in optics like anything else there is a dimishing rate of returns. In good light you'll notice little difference. Its only in poor light that the differences shows up.

It doesn't matter what anyone else says to you or however scientific you want to be bins are highly personal and the descision highly subjective.

Have a look at the big names on a bad light day and see what you think.
Oh if you're not into looks then have a look at the Nikon SuperiorE 8x32 everyone who uses the things raves about 'em.

I'm in a similar dilemma, although not with Audobons. I've just got some Pentax 8x32s DCF SP from Amazon and they're nice, but I want WOW for the extra cost. So I'm gonna find somewhere with a selection of top and medium rated bins, take along my old pair and see if ANY wow me - cost no object. If they don't then I may as well stick with my quite good bins and spend the money elsewhere........I am on the whole a "fair-weather" birder though and many people seem to suggest you really notice a difference in poor environmental circumstances.

We all want the best (don't we Pete ;) ), but only you can decide what that is for you.

Smallblueplanet i thought the Pentax SP range would have had the wow factor as they seem to get very good reviews in America and seem very good value for money from Amazon.

bobwoodcock said:
I am currently using a pair of Swift Audobon 8.5x 44 which are great --BUT-- I would like a pair of Leica or Swarovski ,is the difference worth spending another £600?
Judging by Andy Bright's recent comments, I suppose you'd be sensible waiting a short while for the new Zeiss FLs - it looks as if they are going to be ground breaking.

A short time ago I tried all the top models. The Nikon Superior E 8 X 32's were the best. They are not guaranteed water proof though. I asked the salesman about this and he said he's never gotten a complaint. I was on my way to South America and didn't want to take a chance...........and they were a bit too expensive for my budget, but still half the price of the Swarovskies, and honestly, I liked them better..

bobwoodcock said:

I'd say go and try the bins and see what you think - if using them does not convince you then they are not worth paying the extra for. Personally I think that the difference in quality of the top end bins, especially in extreme conditions, speaks for itself. I finally took the plunge last year and have not regretted it for a moment. My wife was somewhat sceptical but having used them in fadding light she agreed that the difference was amazing.

tricky one
in Turkey u may not see all that much difference but in other situations u will. If u plan to ever go somewhere tropical then 'top' bins should be more reliable where keeping moisture out is a consideration, and seeing birds in very dense forest is a little easier with 'top' bins too.
might be worth going halfway and getting some Nikon SE. They sem optically as good as 'top' bins and are a good deal cheaper but i'm not sure how they'll hold up in extreme temperatures
Plus Turkey can be extreme too! You can go from very hot 'lowlands' to snow-covered ground in a few hours at Demirkazik, so you might want some pretty rugged bins for Turkey anyway

Audubons are a decent pair though and i used them for a few years quite happily.....

Chris D said:
A short time ago I tried all the top models. The Nikon Superior E 8 X 32's were the best. They are not guaranteed water proof though. I asked the salesman about this and he said he's never gotten a complaint. I was on my way to South America and didn't want to take a chance...........and they were a bit too expensive for my budget, but still half the price of the Swarovskies, and honestly, I liked them better..

As a recent purchaser of these B amazing bins, can I ask you how they performed in South America and, indeed, since? Any problems in the rain or humidity? B :)

Blincodave said:
As a recent purchaser of these B amazing bins, can I ask you how they performed in South America and, indeed, since? Any problems in the rain or humidity? B :)

Sorry........ I didn't purchase them. Only tried them. 600 dollars was too much for me at the time. Sorry for any confusion. I went with the Pentax 8 X 40's for $350.00 and they've been fine. Even worked well in New Guinea when both my camera bodies seized from humidity. Hmmmmm.....but those 8 X 32 Nikons.........some day. They were so light and bright. Beautiful work. Good luck........ Chris

Chris D said:
I went with the Pentax 8 X 40's for $350.00 and they've been fine. Even worked well in New Guinea when both my camera bodies seized from humidity.

Pentax 8x40': porros or roofs? (I.e., non-water proof or water proof?)

Cheers, Jens.

Hi Jens, Oops........I just checked my binoculars and they're 8 X 42 DCF WP . Not 8 X 40's. Sorry about that. I also don't think Pentax makes them anymore. They've stepped up this model. Increased the quality and price. Although I must say, I just love what I have, and they were perfect in the humid rainy conditions of Ecuador and West Papua. Very bright and never fogged. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the top-of-the-line jobs, but my wife would kill me............

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back