• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars (1 Viewer)

08sabre

United States
Hi everyone, I am looking for a new pair of binoculars, currently I am using Leica Trinovid 10 x 42 BN that I purchased probably around 2005. My question is are the new Noctivid and Ultravid that much better than the Trinovid? I use them for birding. Thanks

In purely practical terms for birding, no. Field of view and general character are all quite similar. A bit brighter now, and some subtle refinements that aficionados here can describe. The big improvements in recent years (if they matter to you) have been wider fields and sharper near the edge, in Zeiss SF and Swaro NL.

Hi everyone, I am looking for a new pair of binoculars, currently I am using Leica Trinovid 10 x 42 BN that I purchased probably around 2005. My question is are the new Noctivid and Ultravid that much better than the Trinovid? I use them for birding. Thanks
Incrementally better, yes. Whether the cost-to-benefit-ratio is 'worth it', only you can decide.

And don't be tempted by the "free advert" from Cameraland - if you are happy with your Trinovids then stick with them. They are built to last.
SW
Sales must be slow in the optics world, adding the returns (piling up) that end up as open box sales.

I think we can all understand how difficult retail must be these days. I got a good deal on my own S2 scope from Cameraland.

But what can one say to someone with a 20-yr-old BN except congratulations? We still have the 10x32 and love it. I tried UVHD+ myself and didn't find it enough of an improvement, though others here have. UV 42 will be lighter than your "brick". Otherwise I don't think Leica tries as hard to upsell their existing owners, or compete with those who do.

If you're really curious, try an NL. Then you'll know what's happened lately, and whether it matters to you.

Last edited:
What is it in you that is drawing you to look for a new pair of binoculars? What is it you think you will get or hope to get from a new pair? Do you want novelty or are you looking for a definitive characteristic like less magnification or wider FOV?

I think for practical purposes, you are fine with what you are. If you get into this binocular addiction as a full time hobby as some of us are....than the Noctivids excel .... jim

If you've never had your BN's serviced, get Leica to give them a good once over, including a full clean. They are covered under the 30yr warranty.
I've looked through some old non serviced BN's and they put me off.
I then chanced upon another pair fresh back from service, and the difference was huge.
I tried Ultravids not too long ago, and I have to say the BN's were much closer than I expected.
I won't be changing up, it's not worth it (to me) !!
BN's were the pinnacle of what Leica could build at the time, and they are still incredible today.
It's why they are a classic!

What is it in you that is drawing you to look for a new pair of binoculars? What is it you think you will get or hope to get from a new pair? Do you want novelty or are you looking for a definitive characteristic like less magnification or wider FOV?
My wife started birding with me. I thought maybe I would get another set of good binoculars. I really think I will just look for a good used set of Trinivod 10 x 40 BN. After watching several videos I am not sure I would be able to notice much difference for the extra 2 thousand dollars. They are heavy but with the harness it isn’t bad.

If you've never had your BN's serviced, get Leica to give them a good once over, including a full clean. They are covered under the 30yr warranty.
I've looked through some old non serviced BN's and they put me off.
I then chanced upon another pair fresh back from service, and the difference was huge.
I tried Ultravids not too long ago, and I have to say the BN's were much closer than I expected.
I won't be changing up, it's not worth it (to me) !!
BN's were the pinnacle of what Leica could build at the time, and they are still incredible today.
It's why they are a classic!
That is a great idea, do you have any idea on the turn around time?

Wow my Trinivids are 1450142, so I could possibly see a difference in the BA then.
I had pre 145XXX BN's first, and now a very late post 145XX, (mine are actually 1548XXX)
In all honesty.... I can't tell.... but it is nice to know you have the latest I guess.

That is a great idea, do you have any idea on the turn around time?
So mine got sent from UK, and I think in total it was about a month.
But they came back like new.
My first older pair were recovered too but my later ones were 'as new' in the box, but they checked them anyway.
Mainly just to check they were still fully sealed, and focusser all good etc.
I've had very good service from Leica.
Also from Zeiss, but that was actually through East Coast Bino Repairs here in UK.... so that was super quick. About a week all in.

Last edited:
Recently acquired a pair of 10x32 BA's from Birder's Store in UK. Had been serviced by Leica and I have to say they look, perform (and smell) brand new. Really enjoyed using these over the last few weeks, feel great in the hand. Don't know about coatings but I believe there's only a couple of feet difference in the close focus between BA & BN. Was encouraged to buy these when a friend had his 8x32 BN's serviced by Leica recently and was impressed when I looked through them. I have 8x42 NV & 7x42 UV also but had these back in the day and it felt like being reunited with an old friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back