• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Skink?? (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Up until today, the only skink I was familiar with was the 5-lined skink. I'm waffling here on this one between a Broad-headed skink and a Ground skink. What's your thoughts?

Attachments

• 042404skink4cut.jpg
    042404skink4cut.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 042404skink5cut.jpg
    042404skink5cut.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 238
And I can't help much either except to say I saw an almost identical one today (in S. Florida). We watched it eating a worm. Only difference was its head appeared to be a little more rusty colored. If I get an ID, I'll pass it on.

This guy looks like a 5 lined to me, KC. The stripes fade with age: according to my NAS field guide, adults can be uniform brown. The red face would indicate a breeding male.

KCFoggin said:
Up until today, the only skink I was familiar with was the 5-lined skink. I'm waffling here on this one between a Broad-headed skink and a Ground skink. What's your thoughts?

Hi
Thats a Broad headed skink male the slight red head means its getting time to mating season a dominant male has a full read head.

Lia

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back