• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 (1 Viewer)

When people disagree about "brightness" comparisons, I wonder whether something besides transmission may be involved. Do EDGs have high contrast? (I haven't tried one, but did think SFLs had, FWIW)
I definitely agree with that. I think it’s the red spectrum leaning on the EDG, more than the MHG. In bright sunny conditions you can’t see any difference in brightness. The MHG can be to bright on white objects, i did side by side observing swans, it washes out some detail where the EDG show’s excellent wing structure and even different shades of the white. But when clouds roll in or deep forest treks the MHG’s do have an edge. Light transmission is very close between these two. Contrast is better in the EDG, colors and detail pop a bit more, imo.

Paul

Yes, I suspect this "brightness" thing I read in these forums is something different than what I consider "brightness". It sounds more like color tone. In astronomy when we want brighter we increase aperture. Going from a 91% transmission lens to 92% is not doing much. Assuming there actually is a difference in transmission :)

It's almost woodcock season and that means my 56mm's are coming out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back