• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 (2 Viewers)

chaplainlarry

United States
I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42. I was ready to pull the trigger, until I verified they are now made in China instead of JAPAN! What are your thoughts, still worth it? Quality still there? The runner up is the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, from what I hear not as rugged as the Nikon Monarch HG because of the aluminum body. Any thoughts help is appreciated.

Before I would discount the monarch HG, call the vendor or if they have a liberal return policy you could always buy it and send it back if it’s not what you want.
And there likely will be a lot of the made in Japan binoculars on dealer shelves for a while.

I don’t know if I would say that the monarch HG is as robust as the Conquest, that’s a beefy binocular. The monarch HG’s are a little bit more elegant, The magnesium is more exposed in some areas and the leatherette inlay is not as robust as the conquest.

But both are excellent

I have been looking at the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42. I was ready to pull the trigger, until I verified they are now made in China instead of JAPAN! What are your thoughts, still worth it? Quality still there? The runner up is the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, from what I hear not as rugged as the Nikon Monarch HG because of the aluminum body. Any thoughts help is appreciated.
I called Nikon USA the other day and was told that the Nikon HG binoculars are made in Japan.

How did you "verify"??

Why would an aluminum alloy body be any less rugged than a magnesium alloy body?

I called Nikon USA the other day and was told that the Nikon HG binoculars are made in Japan.
At first they told me the same thing, then I escalated it in the emails, I got that they are made in multiple countries. When I escalated it to higher up managers over a two week period, they finally admitted that they will now be made in China

Very typical of Nikon not to give straight answers until pressed. I also confirmed with B&H in New York

How did you "verify"??

Why would an aluminum alloy body be any less rugged than a magnesium alloy body?
They are both made out of magnesium. The conquest is encased in a rubber armor , the HG magnesium is exposed on parts of the barrel and has a very nice inlay of what looks to be leather, but it’s some kind of composite. Somebody here had mentioned what the material is I don’t remember. I call it leatherette.

At first they told me the same thing, then I escalated it in the emails, I got that they are made in multiple countries. When I escalated it to higher up managers over a two week period, they finally admitted that they will now be made in China

Very typical of Nikon not to give straight answers until pressed. I also confirmed with B&H in New York
That’s too bad. I’ll have to drop the Nikon HG’s from future considerations. I just ordered a pair of Meopta Optika 8x42’s that are supposedly assembled in the Czech Republic with Meopta glass, but I might just email them to make sure. Thanks for the reply and have a good day!

By the way, I ordered the Monarch HG 10x42’s last year when the price dropped by $200 on the largest river in the world store but really wasn’t impressed. The build quality reminded me of the Bushnell porro prism binoculars we used to buy in the early 80’s. The view wasn’t that impressive either, granted I’m no expert on optics. The build quality on the Conquest HD 8x32’s I bought was sturdier in my opinion, and I would have kept them if they were 8x42’s.

I called B & H photo and talked to Dan
Ok, wow, that's too bad. I guess they don't exactly issue a press release to let everyone know when they move production! The rumors in this case turned out to be true.

So basically Nikon USA won't sell anything made in Japan anymore, except the WX? No E2's and no EDG. What a shame. I'm glad I can still order those from Kyoie.

I was also thinking about the 10X42 HGs, Conquests and Trinovids. Now that I've taken the HGs off the list, any wisdom to impart between the other two?

I was also thinking about the 10X42 HGs, Conquests and Trinovids. Now that I've taken the HGs off the list, any wisdom to impart between the other two?
Take a look at two reviews from Roger Vine Scope views, he has reviewed both in 10X42, the review will give some info, but always try before you buy.
I have the Trinovid in 10X42 and, yes there is some CA, however it is very portable and provides that warm Leica view that is appealing to my eyes. What I really like about these is the focus and the small size, additionally on the lower weight side for a 10X42. YMMV.

I actually went with Kowa 10.5x44HD
Great reviews and MADE IN JAPAN!
Congratulations on your choice! I’d be interested to hear what you think about the Kowa’s. I’m waiting for a local birding event next month to take a look at the Kowa Genesis binoculars. I’ll compare them to the offerings from the Leica, Vortex, and Zeiss vendors.

Do you mean that production of E2s is ending as well, or will move to China? Source?
No, I was referring only to Nikon USA - they haven't imported EDG or E2's in many years, US buyers must order from overseas to get them (fortunately it's easy)

Thanks, somehow I missed the "USA" there. Actually I wasn't aware that they still sold WX here, or were manufacturing EDG at all.
It's just a weird situation where Nikon USA decided not to offer these, the E2's or EDG, anymore. Doesn't happen often, the only other example I can think of is Swarovski USA choosing not to offer the 8x56 and 10x56 SLC's anymore.

It's just a weird situation where Nikon USA decided not to offer these, the E2's or EDG, anymore. Doesn't happen often, the only other example I can think of is Swarovski USA choosing not to offer the 8x56 and 10x56 SLC's anymore.
Nikon USA has been weird for a few years. They’d rather the cheap Chinese porros and other low and mid level iotions, maybe better profit margins.

I was under the impression swaro is still making the 8x, 10x and 15x56 SLC’s. It’s the 42 line that has been discontinued, unless you something I don’t.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back