• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

finally joined the dark side! (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

So I treated myself to the E620 twin lens kit and will be looking to get a longer zoom for my upcoming safari to South Africa.o:D At the moment I'm torn between the Zuiko 50-200 ED version 1 or SWD second hand (probably would have to be the mark 1 version) or the 70-300 either new or second hand and also get the 1.4 olympus teleconvertor.

Given that I have come from a Panny FZ18 and have been generally very pleased with the IQ of most static/portrait shots, I am torn between the two. To be honest I've scoured flickr for images and I honestly can't see a lot of difference in IQ between what I've been producing and pics taken with either lens, granted I'm viewing on screen (but in many cases I actually prefer my shots, possibly I have rose tinted specs on!!:eek!:). But my images generally seem sharper on screen compared to a lot of the oly ones. However, I really want to improve the number of keepers for birds in flight. I also want to extend my shooting range into conditions where the panny struggles- low light, isolating the animal/bird from the background and atmospheric shots.

I know that on paper the 50-200 would have the edge in these conditions, but does it deliver enough of an edge to justify the extra money and weight at the expense of range? With the Tcon you loose 1 stop in light so I've heard, so potentially that would negate some of the benefit of this faster lens at the long end compared to the 70-300 without the tcon?

I'm so torn between them I can't decide!!

Any thoughts from you birders would be most welcome.
Also any tips for getting the best of this equipment most appreciated!

thanks

Jo

the IQ of the 70-300mm + 1.4 TC is not good at all. and if you use it the max f you get at 300mm will be 7.9.

i have the 70-300mm and when i use it alone i get good results when the light is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/4710115296/

but i don't like its performance in AF, some of this might be because of me as i am not good with AF, but compared to the Sigma 50-500mm certainly the Sigma autofocuses much better, and if you are familiar with the 45-150mm, you will see that it is a great one no doubt, and the 70-300 is nothing like it. there is one major pro for is its compact weight.

the best results i get form it is at f 8.0 and shutter speed no less than 1/320 sec, with ISO 400 i compensate to keep this shutter speed.
or if it is bright enough i go for less ISO value, i can do that here where there is lots of sun.

i don't have the 50-200mm, but Cristian Mihai, here in the gallery has it, and if you check his shots you will see that he is getting good IQ and fabulous shots for it + the TC 1.4

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/54311

hope he sees this and give you more info.

from personal experience, i advise you to go for a second hand Sigma 50-500, if you can find one. or the Sigma 90-400mm.

don't waist you money on TCs, unless you got a fast lens.

in all cases the IQ drops down with ISO larger than 500, and this is not from the lens as i guess, but rather from the small four third sensor. anyway a good noise reduction software will help you so much.

Last edited:
The main pro for 50-200 plus EC-1.4 converter is that you can have similar maximum focal length with 70-300 but a maximum aperture of f4.9. With 70-300 you'll have a maximum aperture of f5.6, but, as ammadoux wrote above, you'll don't get sharp pics. To improve the IQ of 70-300 you'll have to use an aperture of f8 which will lead in long exposure times. With 50-200 plus EC-14 you'll get sharp pics at f4.9.

The main pro for 50-200 plus EC-1.4 converter is that you can have similar maximum focal length with 70-300 but a maximum aperture of f4.9. With 70-300 you'll have a maximum aperture of f5.6, but, as ammadoux wrote above, you'll don't get sharp pics. To improve the IQ of 70-300 you'll have to use an aperture of f8 which will lead in long exposure times. With 50-200 plus EC-14 you'll get sharp pics at f4.9.

Whilst it is better at f/8 the results at f/5.6 aren't all that bad. A positive for the 70-300mm is it is very good for closeup shots of flora and fauna.

BTW, the 70-300mm is helped a great deal by the weak AA filter on the Lumix L1, Lumix L10 and Olympus E510. Results I have seen from other models lack a certain crispness at the long end and wide open.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up getting both the 70-300 new and a used 50-200 non SWD along with the EC14. I took the kit to South Africa and ended up using the 50-200 and EC14 exclusively and am pretty pleased with the results, particulalry on the pelagic trip where I wouldn't have had much luck with my panasonic. I'm undecided whether to keep the 70-300.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back