• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt (1 Viewer)

I agree to a point, but if you're doing a year list and going for the record, no one else cares what fantastic experiences you may have, they want the number. A Blue Tit is worth as much as a Helmet Vanga. If you go to Madagascar you really should make it worthwhile. At the moment he only has Perinet listed (for 2 days), with another 2 days marked as '?'. Travel in Madagascar is difficult. He just won't realistically have time to go anywhere else, do some birding and get back to Tana in time for the flight out. So he's screwed basically. Perinet is fine, but has a restricted species list. I think he'd be better to do one day in Perinet, then either drive down to Ranomafana or even over to Ankarafantsika. Pretty mad distances and two days in the car, but if he wants to win...

This is one of the difficulties of trying to sent a record for a pastime. A House Sparrow has the same result as a bird of paradise or Spoonbill Sandpiper. To achieve the most birds, once you have seen a species move on. To someone with a interest the temption is to savour the experience.

One way to maximise the time in the field would be to fly/ travel at night.

Regards
Stuart

Could I recommend that this thread ends and a new one starts on January first? more than 3 pages of thread before the attempt even starts ;)

Niels

Arjan Dwarshuis, Dutch Birding, 23 Dec 2015: The countdown has started.

Interesting to see that he is 'as sure as hell' that his plan will be record breaking if he can 'physically and mentally keep [himself] together'. This is despite the fact that his spread/expectation is only 6,200 to 6,300 species. This will be a close run thing.

Not sure how tricky the adjustments for taxonomy will be during the year to make it a valid comparison but as we have a full species list from the current record, it will be easier to compare things as he goes along. At the start of the year, the maximum potential species is dictated by the itinerary with already a significant number 'off plan'. The number of remaining targets falls with not only what he sees but also as each destination is completed, the number of unique targets he can no longer see on the remaining itinerary.....

All th best

Interesting to see that he is 'as sure as hell' that his plan will be record breaking if he can 'physically and mentally keep [himself] together'. This is despite the fact that his spread/expectation is only 6,200 to 6,300 species. This will be a close run thing.

Not sure how tricky the adjustments for taxonomy will be during the year to make it a valid comparison but as we have a full species list from the current record, it will be easier to compare things as he goes along. At the start of the year, the maximum potential species is dictated by the itinerary with already a significant number 'off plan'. The number of remaining targets falls with not only what he sees but also as each destination is completed, the number of unique targets he can no longer see on the remaining itinerary.....

All th best

Is he following IOC or clements? Noah is probably going to end up somewhere around 6000 clements, but presumably would be higher under IOC?

as Noah's year quickly draws in and hopefully reaches a stunning climax (although in many many ways it has already, but it aint quite over........), really looking forward to 2016 and following this thread to read about Arjans journey.

So Noah's list would need to be converted to IOC if a comparison is to be made?

Regards

Yep; but we don't know if Noah has seen both of any pairs of birds split by IOC but not by Clements, as we only get told what's new on the Clements list.

Anyone know if he's seen e.g. both Cabot's Tern Thalasseus [sandvicensis] acuflavidus in the Americas and Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis in Europe?

Regards

Or you disallow IOC splits as Arjan goes along?

Yep; but we don't know if Noah has seen both of any pairs of birds split by IOC but not by Clements, as we only get told what's new on the Clements list.

Anyone know if he's seen e.g. both Cabot's Tern Thalasseus [sandvicensis] acuflavidus in the Americas and Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis in Europe?

A full data set would be available through e-bird.

All the best

From the Dutch Birding article, this is the link where Arjan's sightings will appear:-

http://world.observation.org/user/lifelist/84878?jaar=2016

Having done my last patch birding before my New Year's day bash, I think I'm looking forward to his kick off more than the 60 or 70 species I'll get on my patch! He looks as if he will have a calm dry day for it. He should get maybe half a dozen species on 1st January that Noah did not record this year?

All the best

Last edited:
IOC vs eBird/Clements

Or you disallow IOC splits as Arjan goes along?
But there are also 68 extant species recognised by eBird/Clements but not by IOC, so it's not necessarily quite that simple...

IOC (v5.4) and eBird/Clements (v2015) recognise 10,612 and 10,365 extant spp respectively. So in crude terms, Arjan's total needs to be ~2.4% greater than Noah's to be broadly equivalent.

The process of comparing taxonomy lists could be simplified if we recognized there are 4 possible Big Year totals:
1. Clements/ebird including heard onlys
2. Clements/ebird with no heard onlys
3. IOC including heard onlys
4. IOC with no heard onlys

Noah's Big Year as he has recorded it will be the new record in the first type of Big Year. If he was willing to go through his list and delete his heard onlys he could set the standard for the type 2 record. And if he was really energetic he could recompile his sightings in accordance with IOC with and without heards.

Finally for the hardcore, someone could set the standard for a Big Year self found without guides (obviously a much lower total) or else like some Big Day competitions try to do a Big Year as a team. Maybe some of these things have already been attempted and I just don't know about them. Yikes starting to sound too competitive to be fun.

David

But there are also 68 extant species recognised by eBird/Clements but not by IOC, so it's not necessarily quite that simple...

IOC (v5.4) and eBird/Clements (v2015) recognise 10,612 and 10,365 extant spp respectively. So in crude terms, Arjan's total needs to be ~2.4% greater than Noah's to be broadly equivalent.

Richard - I know it's not that simple but I had in mind someone who posts on here who seems to have an encyclopaedic knowledge on such things that could help....... 3:) (Happy New Year.) I reckon we stand a chance as we go along if we can get the Noah dataset.

The process of comparing taxonomy lists could be simplified if we recognized there are 4 possible Big Year totals:
1. Clements/ebird including heard onlys
2. Clements/ebird with no heard onlys
3. IOC including heard onlys
4. IOC with no heard onlys

Noah's Big Year as he has recorded it will be the new record in the first type of Big Year. If he was willing to go through his list and delete his heard onlys he could set the standard for the type 2 record. And if he was really energetic he could recompile his sightings in accordance with IOC with and without heards.

Finally for the hardcore, someone could set the standard for a Big Year self found without guides (obviously a much lower total) or else like some Big Day competitions try to do a Big Year as a team. Maybe some of these things have already been attempted and I just don't know about them. Yikes starting to sound too competitive to be fun.

David

David - I think there are also some (many?) who exclude self-sustaining feral populations from their World lists including re-introductions so eg no Capercallie in Scotland.

I'd happily give this a crack if the dataset was available. I'll ask when he has finished. I doubt that it would be more than a 30 or so hour slog if someone gave me the comparison data.......

The variation on Category C populations/re-introductions would be trickier.

All the best

Last edited:
David - I think there are also some (many?) who exclude self-sustaining feral populations from their World lists including re-introductions so eg no Capercallie in Scotland.

What do they say about reintroductions like California Condor, where the global population is in that situation?

What do they say about reintroductions like California Condor, where the global population is in that situation?

I anticipate they would say uncountable. It is interesting that there is a relatively small percentage that count the species from the number with World Lists on BUBO:-

http://www.bubo.org/Listing/view-li...3&auth=IOC&period=0&year=&type=0&spec_id=8580

(My personal approach to all lists has evolved over the years to one simple principle - what I wish to add applying my own approach to the criteria of that particular type of list - geography, taxonomy, etc. 3:) When/if I see one, I would count it.)

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back