• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt (2 Viewers)

What do they say about reintroductions like California Condor, where the global population is in that situation?

ABA now considers reintroduced California Condor (and Aplomado Falcon for that matter) countable. I have no idea if Noah saw one, but if he did he should be able to count it, since he is probably following ABA listing guidelines.

ABA now considers reintroduced California Condor (and Aplomado Falcon for that matter) countable. I have no idea if Noah saw one, but if he did he should be able to count it, since he is probably following ABA listing guidelines.

He did and he did. Species 2,664 on day 146 but this was a discussion on producing alternative totals for comparative purposes for those with a less one world view. He even pointed at it:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/day-146-its-bird-its-plane

All the best

I compiled an Excel spreadsheet with the Clements taxonomy and used local but official checklists like from the ABA, SACC, the African Bird Club, so one can filter by region (however not yet ready for most countries). I also tried to highlight extinct and thought to be extinct species and to assign region statuses (vagrant, introduced). I hope that we can thus follow Arjans effort of compiling a greater list than Noah and make it comparable. However I don't want to play police for Arjans effort and run it down with such a list, so I'm not sure if I want to make it openly accessible. However I would try and keep you informed.
What would be your thoughts?

Cheers Maffong

I compiled an Excel spreadsheet with the Clements taxonomy and used local but official checklists like from the ABA, SACC, the African Bird Club, so one can filter by region (however not yet ready for most countries). I also tried to highlight extinct and thought to be extinct species and to assign region statuses (vagrant, introduced). I hope that we can thus follow Arjans effort of compiling a greater list than Noah and make it comparable. However I don't want to play police for Arjans effort and run it down with such a list, so I'm not sure if I want to make it openly accessible. However I would try and keep you informed.
What would be your thoughts?

Cheers Maffong

Maffong

I suspect comparing Arjan's list on the same approach as Noah will not be that tricky. I have Noah's list on a similar spreadsheet. The trickier element would be increasing Noah's list for any splits that Arjan would count. I'll pop you a PM. These exercises are normally easier to deal with in practice than theory. There will be a number of contentious species in countries neither of them will visit.

All the best

But there are also 68 extant species recognised by eBird/Clements but not by IOC, so it's not necessarily quite that simple...

IOC (v5.4) and eBird/Clements (v2015) recognise 10,612 and 10,365 extant spp respectively. So in crude terms, Arjan's total needs to be ~2.4% greater than Noah's to be broadly equivalent.

Richard

From the spreadsheet linked, I am getting:-

Extant species
Shared - 10,316 species
IOC - 327 unique so 10,643 species
Clements/eBird - 68 unique so 10,384 species

Extinct species
Shared - 88 species
IOC - 34 species
Clements/eBird - 1 species

Edit - I see this link gives 10,612 extant and 154 extinct species for IOC 5.4 so 10,766 compared to my 10,765 above from the comparison spreadsheet:-

http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/

Edit 2 - I see this link gives 10,365 extant and 108 extinct species for Clements 2015 so 10,473 compared to my 10,473 above so it matches but with less extinct species:-

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/

I'll reconcile tomorrow. It is definitely doable to convert Noah and Arjan within a reasonable element of accuracy.

Edit 3 - Despite that link the IOC 5.4 downloadable spreadsheet has 10,765 species not 10,766 so it matches the comparison spreadsheet - just need to update the extinct ones in the comparison as with Clements 2015.

All the best

Last edited:
For the Dutch lists those four escapes don't count, as it should be with escapes in the rest of the world. So they are not taken in account.

For the Dutch lists those four escapes don't count, as it should be with escapes in the rest of the world. So they are not taken in account.

Fair enough, but Pheasant and Egyptian Goose fall into the same category (escape) according to Observation.org even though they have well established breeding populations. They aren't on his current list but almost every birder would count them.

Final score of 118 (on FB) including some great ticks...wondering if he will include non-native/escape of which he saw four?

J

Which four? I get Mute Swan, Canada Goose & Greater Flamingo. I would consider the first two as feral self-sustaining populations but not the latter? I thought that they were from a small mixed population in Germany that was not sufficiently large? Which species have I missed?

Noah will convert to IOC for comparison reasons.

What taxonomy is Arjan using? He appears to have counted Branta bernicula and Branta hrota as two species on day one but I thought IOC 5.4 does not count them as two species?

All the best

Hmm that's odd, I get Pheasant, Egyptian Goose, Black Swan and Chilean Flamingo marked as escapes (**) for a total of 122. Maybe something to do with the website? I wondered about the Brent Geese too, thought the website used IOC but maybe I'm wrong...anyone?

Last edited:
Hmm that's odd, I get Pheasant, Egyptian Goose, Black Swan and Chilean Flamingo marked as escapes (**) for a total of 122. Maybe something to do with the website? I wondered about the Brent Geese too, thought the website used IOC but maybe I'm wrong...anyone?

Nohatch

Many thanks - noted. It depends on whether you have ticked 'include Non-native species' and 'include Escapes' on the website. I had them clear. I'm currently struggling to understand excluding Egyptian Goose, Pheasant & Black Swan - but including Mute Swan, Canada Goose & Greater Flamingo - but that is almost certainly as a result of my ignorance of the Dutch list. I thought the Chilean & Greater Flamingoes were the same mixed flock.

All the best

Last edited:
Struggling with the same thing Paul! According to the website they use IOC (http://observado.org/info.php) but several older versions are listed (v2.0 and v2.6). The ** species are indeed considered category C (http://www.dutchbirding.nl/content/page/files/webprog20121001-80.pdf) but in that case I would not count Greater Flamingo - like you say they are from a mixed colony in Germany and winter in the Dutch delta area - or Canada Goose. Looks like Dutch Birding split the geese by the way.
Will have to see if Arjan clarifies this at some point.

Cheers,
Joost

Last edited:
Arjan starts off with New Year's Day in the Netherlands where he'll get several species that Noah did not see this year - perhaps Little Auk, Jack Snipe, Pink-footed Goose, Rock Pipit, Rough-legged Buzzard, Snow Bunting, Spotted Redshank, both Bean Geese, Bittern, Grey Partridge, Red-necked Grebe & Bewick's Swan.

In any event, a cracking start - 118 or 122 - or slightly less subject to sorting out approach to feral self-sustaining populations and Branta taxonomy. A dozen species that Noah did not record - of which I predicted 8 B :) :-
Common Scoter (Noah did record Black Scoter but both split on IOC and Clements I think)
Rough-legged Buzzard (Noah did not record this or Rough-legged Hawk)
Bewick's Swan (Noah did not record this or Tundra Swan)
Rock Pipit
Pine Bunting
Snow Bunting
Tundra Bean-goose (Noah did not record this or Taiga Bean-goose)
Pale-bellied Brent Goose (if split)
Grey Partridge
Spotted Redshank
Pink-footed Goose
Black Guillemot

All the best

Last edited:
And it took Noah until 10 January to reach 118....

I think the first valid comparisons will be when he has left locations behind and we can judge what Noah saw there and he missed and what he saw there and Noah missed. Plus 12 on Day One.

It will be a very interesting voyeur experience again. :cat::cat:

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back