• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's been in your garden today? (1 Viewer)

Between 20 and 30 chaffinches at the moment.

Unfortunately, I came home this afternoon, to find two males next to the front door, one of them still warm. He didn't make it though. They did look in marvellous health too. They were window strikes. All I can think is that they were chasing each other. :-C

They are now food for the kites/buzzards.

had an unusual day today with bird numbers increasing a lot (previous number in brackets)

Blue Tits 3 (2)
Great Tit 1 (0)
Coal Tit 1 (0)
Greenfinches 4 (2)
Wood Pigeons 6 (1)
House Sparrows 7 (0)
Robins 2 (2)
Dunncoks 2 (1)
Blackbirds 2 (2)
Magpie 2 (2)

wow wonder what tomorow holds!!

Unfortunately, I came home this afternoon, to find two males next to the front door, one of them still warm. He didn't make it though. They did look in marvellous health too. They were window strikes. All I can think is that they were chasing each other.

I get a few window strikes at work in my glasshouse, most often birds inside trying to get out, even with shading painted over it they still panic sometimes when I walk in, did find a Long-eared Bat last year which was very odd :h?:

last bird strike was a Woodcock, worse thing was it was me that flushed it and watched it go splat into the window :C , only second time I've seen one at work, beautiful birds.

on the plus side I did get to show it to my daughter who was amazed.

Attachments

• woodcock.jpg
    woodcock.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 138
I'm sorry Richard, I have to say this.... did you have it for dinner? The photo looks like you were about to, what with the chopping board and knife! ;)

Strangely enough (or maybe not), considering the hundreds and hundreds of wood pigeons in the woods, there are only two that come down to feed. I suppose there is sufficient food in the woods for them, which is a good thing.

I'm sorry Richard, I have to say this.... did you have it for dinner? The photo looks like you were about to, what with the chopping board and knife!

lol! I see what you mean.

it was someones supper, but not mine :)

could naver bring myself to eat something like that, but my bosses son did.

I used to go beating and picked them up from time to time, of all the things that got shot I always thought they shouldn't end up in the pot, but it was dead after all, apparently it was delicious.

(slightly off topic ) nice Snowdrop avatar by the way, are you a collector?

Just came home and heard the sound of Tundra Swans flying towards us. A perfect V of swans perhaps 200 or so came right over us.

I was at a friends house up in the hills and 6 Turkeys came to the bird feeder, she gets as many as 45 of these huge birds almost daily. WOW!

first Goldfinches this year (x2) on my Thistle feeders today.

2x GS Woodpecker
20 ish Fieldfare in trees
2x LT Tit
Lots of Robins & Dunnocks + usual assortment of Greenfinch/Chaffinch Blue/Great/Coal Tit

hoping Siskins will visit soon....

Richard W said:
lol! I see what you mean.

it was someones supper, but not mine :)

could naver bring myself to eat something like that, but my bosses son did.

I used to go beating and picked them up from time to time, of all the things that got shot I always thought they shouldn't end up in the pot, but it was dead after all, apparently it was delicious.

(slightly off topic ) nice Snowdrop avatar by the way, are you a collector?
Thanks. No, I'm not a collector, it was taken at Anglesy Abbey, near here, I just thought it was seasonal. I tried to get some photos of crocuses in the snow this weekend but they didn't work out quite so well - I got too cold lying on the ground to have much patience.

I've had two rose-ringed parakeets in my garden for about three weeks but only saw them myself on sunday afternoon. not bad for this part of the world (Leeds) I have some really bad pics of them but i'm too ashamed to show them on here ha ha.

6 (3 m, 3f) Bullfinches in my Damsen tree this morning, looked great sat on the snowy branches o:)

wont be many buds left on the tree at this rate...

For the first time in my garden I have a pair of Robins nestbuilding. Today I managed to get a shot fo one collecting nesting materials. They're building the nest in a plant pot holder in my greenhouse/ lean-to.

Attachments

• Robin CSS.jpg
    Robin CSS.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 124
Had 2 male Reed Buntings in neighbours tree this a.m. Tried thought transference to get them into my garden, but they're obviously on a different wave length and flew off!! Still, a nice first.
Your robins are ahead of ours, Johnny1, great pic! Our male is feeding female, but no signs of nest building yet.
Mary

spent 10 mins today watching 2 Nuthatches having a great time picking peanuts out of the log full of holes.

3 Dunnocks were having an arguement, presumably 2 males & 1 female.

1 GS Woodpecker

1 huge female Sparrowhawk which scattered the usual Blue/Great/Coal Tits and Finches.

2 Collared Doves which took no notice of me working nearby, not my favorite birds (due to that horrendous call) but have to say they looked very nice sat on the birdbath in the sun :)

New bird for the feeder today, Yellowhammer. Had them in the garden last summer but not since except flyovers so delighted when one popped in amongst the chaffinches.

Nice one James.

I had a wren for ages then last week with the snow, it disappeared. However, I bought some mealworms couple of days ago, still no sign of the wren, until today! She/he found the worms and returned on a regular basis throughout the day to feed on them. Made my day it did.

The usual and two Wood Pigeons prowling around on the grass. Not seen them visit the garden before. Also several Herring Gulls landed after I had thrown out some slices of bread. They must have been starving, never seen a bird gobble up food so fast. One was so hungry it grabbed hold of the nearest gull's wing and wouldn't let go. What a noise and commotion!

Nerine

Male Sparrowhawk had a go at my feeders yesterday, as usual the table cleared with alarm calls from just about everything, seconds later the Sparrowhawk appeared and did a very acrobatic 180 turn right over the feeders almost stopping in mid air, must have been very optimistic raptor to think something was still there o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back