• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"flower" food for hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

bjames

I have 3 hummingbird feeders up at all times. The hummers not only come to these feeders, but they love all the flowers I have provided for them. I wonder about the flowers that I have in my garden that attract them.... Monarda, cardinal vine, cypress vine, lobelia, Pentas, trumpet vine, lychnis, etc. Once they feed on a flower, can they go back to that same individual flower for more syrum/nourishment, or is each flower depleted after only one feeding? (only a" one visit " supply of food ?)

While the flowers are usually depleted after each visit, the plant will, unless the pistol has been fertilized, produce new nectar within a day to then attract the birds again. Depending on the species of plant, it can be renewed even sooner.

Thank you for your informative reply. It gives me a good feeling to know that there will be plenty of supply for the little guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back