• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inland high-flying seabird (UK) (1 Viewer)

Joe.S

I've seen this bird a few times. It flies high and in a lazy fashion (if you've ever seen a bird mobile then it moves like this- I've included a picture). It flies in a relatively straight line but seems to have all the time in the world- like it's looking for somewhere to have a picnic...

The photo is crap but it does show the shape. Today (rural Worcestershire) I only saw it from the back but I did observe that the tail is white (at least it was white on the top side- didn't see the underside) and the wings are dark grey on top (didn't see the underside- or can't remember).

I don't know my seabirds. But, I'd be grateful for any suggestions so I can swot-up before the next time I see it.

I reckon it was big. Probably as big, or bigger, than a buzzard (don't trust this scale though).

I really don't know if this post is laughable or if the above is quite diagnostic. It's all part of the fun :smoke:

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 211
  • birdmobile.jpg
    birdmobile.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Thanks for replying.

It's definitely a seabird. I've seen it through the binoculars a few times and can only recall that it's gull-like.

I'm very familiar with grey herons. I saw one today, and I see one most times I go out, because I live next to a river.

The second picture is a bird mobile because that's how it moved (a visual aid- it might mean something to somebody).

And the first paragraph of your first post is a rather evocative description of a heron. And nothing else.

'Tis true.

Real seabirds are pretty rare at all inland - including Gannet which is the only larger one around at the moment off the south coast (Oh and some skuas. And lots of gulls).

Cormorant doesn't fit at all, other large seabirds like shearwaters or skuas - ne real chance at all, geese and swans don't fit etc.

Crane may be possible ... but still a lot less likely of course.

Grey Herons can typically fly high up, and of course will look rather different to how you are used to seeing them.

Why do you think it's a seabird when you are inland?

Because I looked at it and thought 'oh bo**ocks- it's a seagull and I can't I.D it'.

For me 'seagull' falls into a broad category that I have no knowledge of.

I totally agree my description sounds like a grey heron- I thought that when I wrote it. But it isn't one. Granted, I should have been clearer that it's a gull-like bird.

Last edited:
There are of course a whole plethora of escaped raptors of many native/non-native species possibly out there ... Osprey in particular get mistaken for gulls. Or maybe it's just a big seagull? ;)

Not to push or anything but soaring herons in particular are quite different birds to when you see them at all other times. They can look like parts of all sorts of different birds at the same time, and they glide more often than you'd think.

Perhaps it was a lesser or greater black-backed gull then? The only possible bird with a shorter neck is probably fulmar which is not likely in this case. There is also cormorant to consider, though it doesn't quite match your description.

Perhaps it was a lesser or greater black-backed gull then? The only possible bird with a shorter neck is probably fulmar which is not likely in this case. There is also cormorant to consider, though it doesn't quite match your description.

Thanks- I will do my homework on great black-backed gull and lesser black-backed gull then keep a look out for it. Fulmar is good for shape as well but, as you say, unlikely.

Not a cormorant. Though I do see a lot of cormorants.

Thanks for your help everyone (sorry for leading you up the garden path).

It's given me something to go at.

Had a look at the 1st pic before reading the rest. Grey Heron was my conclusion. Then I read the post and the rest. I'd say Grey Heron. With the initial description? Grey Heron...

Sounds like GBB Gull to me - yes, they're substantially larger than Buzzards (twice the weight!).

Thanks, Nutcracker! When I'm ready, and in my own time, then I will use the acronym. But, I can't say I'd heard of a Great black backed gull until yesterday. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back