• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binocular naming convention (1 Viewer)

So why are binoculars specified as e.g. 8x42?

The 8x makes sense, but the 2nd number is quite meaningless to someone buying a pair of binoculars. What you get for 42 is totally different for different models

Why isn't it 8x<value of field of view.> ?
or even 8x <weight> would be more useful to consumers

Just seems a bit random these days

So why are binoculars specified as e.g. 8x42?
Probably, the "opening" data was derived from the old classic evaluation procedures of the telescopes. And as you know, the aperture of the lens generally corresponds to the nominal value of the entrance pupil, so from that data it is possible to calculate the exit pupil of the binoculars.
That is, to evaluate the potential of binoculars, both the magnification value and that of its pupil are needed.

And therefore,
Why isn't it 8x<value of field of view.> ?
or even 8x <weight> would be more useful to consumers
in this way the light collection/distribution data would be missing.

The visual field data are often written on the body of the binoculars and the data of weight are normally provided in the specifications, as well as by a common libra.

Last edited:
The 8x makes sense, but the 2nd number is quite meaningless to someone buying a pair of binoculars. What you get for 42 is totally different for different models

Peter
If is unclear why you would say "What you get for 42 is totally different for different models".

For sure some models have internal baffling that reduces the effective objective lens size by a couple of millimetres, but I wouldn't call this 'totally' different.

The only 'totally' different objective lens size I can think of is when it might be for example 32mm or 50mm but then, as I expect you know, the bino is named 8x32 or 8x50.

Can you explain further what you meant by 'totally different'?

Lee

Wish they’d add the apparent field of view to the end, then you would have the optical comparison numbers you need in one place. You’d know the relative weight, the twilight ability, the “immersive ness” of the view.... there are plenty of other metrics you can derive from those two numbers that you can play with. Have a play with different magnification and objective sized binoculars on a shop and see what works for you- small and compact, twilight ability, wide field, high power.... there’s something for everyone.

Peter

Peter
If is unclear why you would say "What you get for 42 is totally different for different models".

For sure some models have internal baffling that reduces the effective objective lens size by a couple of millimetres, but I wouldn't call this 'totally' different.

The only 'totally' different objective lens size I can think of is when it might be for example 32mm or 50mm but then, as I expect you know, the bino is named 8x32 or 8x50.

Can you explain further what you meant by 'totally different'?

Lee

I'm thinking of a very old cheap 8x42 compared with a very new top of the range 8x32, with the best coating, elements etc. There doesn't seem to be anything relevant to a consumer in the 32 vs 42. I get that it's relevant if it's the same product line.

Just struck me as weird when I thought about it. From a consumer point of view, as opposed to a binocular expert

I'm thinking of a very old cheap 8x42 compared with a very new top of the range 8x32, with the best coating, elements etc. There doesn't seem to be anything relevant to a consumer in the 32 vs 42. I get that it's relevant if it's the same product line.

Just struck me as weird when I thought about it. From a consumer point of view, as opposed to a binocular expert

OK now I understand where you are coming from. The 32 and 42 and 50mm designations are as you know the objective lens sizes and this gives the potential customer an idea of their light gathering power and therefore an idea of how bright they will appear to be under different conditions such as dark clouds or dawn or dusk twilight. These numbers also give an idea of the physical bulk of the model and although you can't work out a weight or size from just the objective lens size, it gives a clue as to which class of size and weight the model falls into. Getting a bit more technical, the size of the objective lens, when divided by the magnification tells you the diameter of the circle of light carrying the image that emerges from the eyepiece and this is called the exit pupil. The size of the exit pupil is a good general guide to brightness but also what is called 'ease of eye placement'. Cutting a long story short the bigger the exit pupil the less precise you have to be about where you position the binos relative to your own eye's pupils. This can be especially important for those wearing spectacles and therefore cannot rely on their eyesockets to guide the eyecups of the binocular into the right place.

So the measurement of the objective does give useful consumer information.

Lee

Yes, i guess it does provide a general sense of where the binocular sits, plus the other features yourself and Rico mentioned.
I am looking at it the same way as I see cars.. 20 years ago, pretty much every car was named by their engine size.. a cortina 1.6, a BMW 316. Today, you often have to go deep into the spec to find the engine size. If you are hiring a car today, they are all grouped by size: economy, mini, compact, or even small, medium, and large!

Do you see binoculars being "dumbed down" like that in future?
I'm not saying that would be a good idea, but everything seems to get simplified

Yes, i guess it does provide a general sense of where the binocular sits, plus the other features yourself and Rico mentioned.
I am looking at it the same way as I see cars.. 20 years ago, pretty much every car was named by their engine size.. a cortina 1.6, a BMW 316. Today, you often have to go deep into the spec to find the engine size. If you are hiring a car today, they are all grouped by size: economy, mini, compact, or even small, medium, and large!

I'm not saying that would be a good idea, but everything seems to get simplified

Peter

Like you I regret the fact that a BMW can't be relied upon to have a 1.6 litre engine. Except, there were occasions when BMW didn't follow these rules and for example labelled a 2.5 litre engine as a 2.3 so it didn't challenge their genuinely 330 powered by a 3.0 litre engine.

I am not entirely sure if I agree that car designations are dumbing down. In some cases they obscure rather than simplify. Look at Audi's and Volvo's systems.

Binos have always been designated according to magnification x objective during my lifetime and I have not heard any suggestion of any different from any optics manufacturer. When we start to get binos with digital capabilities then we may well see different ways of naming them.

Lee

We've always like to keep the naming of our products simple - one of our best was the Imagic BGA PC ASFT Oasis 8x32. Nice, easy to remember names with meaningful acronyms... |:D||:D||:D|

We've always like to keep the naming of our products simple - one of our best was the Imagic BGA PC ASFT Oasis 8x32. Nice, easy to remember names with meaningful acronyms... |:D||:D||:D|

Thats a nice one Pete but I've always had a soft spot for Explorer WA ED Oasis-C PLUS 8x42 myself.

Lee

If you are hiring a car today, they are all grouped by size: economy, mini, compact, or even small, medium, and large!

What I think on the matter is that if the producers were all really honest, yours would be a good idea. But on the contrary, the more general the terminology will be, the greater the tricks put in place to "sell smoke" or "fried air" (especially at those who cannot afford the best model, of the format they have chosen to use).
Already the "nominal" terminology is a generalization that alone supports "the world of binoculars", confusing the waters even at the most expert. But since in my house 2 + 2 is always 4, it is obvious that every producer is here to make money, and not to make a pleasure to me or to you.
Unfortunately, there is little to do on this: the market always earns on the incompetence of consumers. Thus, it is up to the consumer to make the best choices in a much more conscious way. And to do this we need a good basic culture about binoculars, but which the "ignorant" behavior avoids like the plague and in doing so you dig the pit yourself. In my opinion we must stop ignoring and start to understand with will how things really are. Then, the best will come automatically.

Anyone who already has some knowledge on the subject, already has an idea of ​​the "tonnage" of the binoculars (weight and size), simply based on the "aperture" value (25, 32, 42, 50mm, etc.). For example, it is easy to understand that 25mm binoculars are generally "Pocket binoculars" and therefore the lightest among all the others; while those between 30 and 40mm are medium sized binoculars often considered "Handyman". And so, those with an aperture greater than 42mm are generally the largest and heaviest binoculars, but often also the most powerful.

Over time I understood that binoculars can be divided into at least 3 fundamental groups more useful: Pocket, Handyman and Twilight. And that everything else can be considered either "useless" or so specific, that those who use it do not need to classify it in a generalized way.
- Pocket: these are the lightest folding binoculars, which are insertable in the shirt pocket. They are ideal to always have binoculars with you on every occasion and are also "the best" from sunrise to sunset (daytime use). The most common formats among the best choices are 8x20-25 10x22-28.
- Handyman: they are binoculars of more general or even generalized use, but they are not pocket sized and not very small (some, too heavy). They serve the user in a wider way, because they respond to average pupil / iris needs (about 3.5-4mm). The most common formats among the best choices are 7x-8x30-42 10x35-42, but although the 42mm is the most studied, produced and sold lens format, many of those listed above could be "anomalous all-rounders" (eg, 7x42 ).
- Twilight: they are the most powerful binoculars of all, but also generally heavier and bulkier. Just to give some examples, among these we will find various more specific uses, with physical and technical characteristics more suitable for the purpose: maritime navigation (7x50), hunting (8x56) and astronomy (10x70), where only the 8x56 format will be used mainly and effectively during twilight (and built for the occurrence).

Therefore, when it is necessary to choose your own binoculars, as it is normal to do with the choice of the car or shoes (for example), it is necessary to try to understand first, what will be the purpose and its fundamental function.
Already from this first point it is possible to narrow the field: do you need binoculars to look at the stars or insects? Do you need a car to go off-road or in the city? Do you need shoes to climb Everest or to go to the beach? We can't have it all in one!

The research of the most useful tool for this purpose starts from one's own needs. And as has happened to everyone, in this process we will have useful experiences and assimilate information that will automatically help us better classify the various binoculars. The elementary (nominal) data of the binocular format (e.g., 6x30, 8x42, 10x25, etc.) are already an excellent start, to classify them in an orderly way. And there is no other alternative data that can describe them in a more useful way.
They could also add the transmittance value, the visual field and the weight in the format, thus creating something similar to 8x42T92%<8°Kg.85 (for example). And if the data were much more precise than they are today (that is, if they provided only the real data and not the nominal ones), there would be a huge saving of time for all users (experts and beginners).
But as almost everyone knows, this unfortunately does not happen.

What I can recommend to anyone is to pay close attention to personal needs! Personal needs are the key point. While the needs of others are mostly distractions and wasted time, only useful to confuse.
Here the statistics are of no use to anyone or little to each of us. Who would choose the length of own shoes based on the statistics?
So we avoid blindly believing the beliefs of others, but try to truly understand how things are, before making any decision. And above all, we avoid following commonplaces.

Maybe my answer is too complex, but also your question-request is no different.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back