• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white wing doves (1 Viewer)

tricksie13

I have been observing birds at our water feature in our yard for 12 years, and this year the number of white wing doves is significantly down. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just in my locale?

I may have a couple less than last year, but it is hard to tell for sure. I am still seeing and hearing them as I travel around town and never thought about there being a decrease. Now that you brought it up, I will pay closer attention.

It could be that a food source near you house in prior years may be gone this year.

I think I have them.... I'm overwhelmed with them this year! they are eating everything in the feeders and are beating up all the other birds that try to come around. I had a beautiful Gamble's Quail family come by and 6 white wings came in and started chasing the adult quail around and pecked at the babies. Take them back please LOL

I have not noticed a significant decrease in the number of white-wing doves, perhaps as suggested by BruceH there are local environmental constraints coming in to play.

Looks like the White Wings are starting to head south for the winter. I have not seen mine, including this year's young ones for three days. I know they are not the most popular bird for many, but I will miss watching them. I does amaze me how the young ones figure out it is time to go and find their way.

They're back!

I spotted my first White Wing of the season wondering about the back last Thursday.

They may not be a favorite for some, but I always enjoy watching them and are part of what makes up an AZ summer.

Saw the first White-winged Dove of the season today.
Hooded Orioles showed up a couple weeks ago.
Red-winged Blackbirds also showed up a couple weeks ago.

I haven't seen any Bronzed or Black-headed Cowbirds yet.

White-throated Sparrows are still here and haven't migrated north yet.

I judge that Summer (or at least summer-like weather) is fully here when I see Lesser Nighthawks in the evening and hear the first cicadas.

Last edited:
Sping is Here 2018

My first back yard White-winged dove spotting for the season on March 31st, 2018 in the north Phoenix area. There were a couple of them. They may have a arrived a few days sooner but I had not been watching.

Their arrival and early September departure always signals a change in the seasons to me.

DSCN1053_1 resize.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back